USN CPO Sweetheart Pin?

hink441

I just got this nice pin. It is an early CPO hat pin soldered ontop of a red, white and blue ship's wheel. I have not seen one like this before. On the back it is named and dated January 1918. I don't know if this is a sweetheart pin or something else?? Any ideas??

post-50776-0-65747500-1399611531.jpg

post-50776-0-44732200-1399611545.jpg

It does look like a sweetheart pin.They use the anchor and USN as a generic design on a lot of items.I really like the design nice find.

Thanks,

I tend to agree with you, and believe this is probably a sweetheart piece. I also believe they used an actual CPO badge to make this pin. What is strange is the inscription on the back. Kind of plain, cold and matter of fact. The abbreviated first name and date is rather un-personal for a sweetheart piece. :blink:

Thanks,

I tend to agree with you, and believe this is probably a sweetheart piece. I also believe they used an actual CPO badge to make this pin. What is strange is the inscription on the back. Kind of plain, cold and matter of fact. The abbreviated first name and date is rather un-personal for a sweetheart piece. :blink:

True, unless there is a maker mark on the bottom.Maybe they only had so much room to work with? Still a very nice looking pin.Could still be worn.