A $49,000 recruiting banner....... Oh really...?

teufelhunde.ret

Brig,

I have always looked at this website to do research on military, especially Marine Corps stuff I have but never joined. When I did sign up they said I could not post anything until I have 50 post. So I figured the best way was to get attention in a big way. If I would have posted it for $100 would you have noticed?

To address the other topic of making a frame...yes that would be expensive. The musuem curator told about it would have to be behind a UV protected glass to keep the color it has.Which I check and it is wicked expensive for this size. As I said in the auction, this thing was not specially taken care of just store in a bag which was placed in one of those plastic bins...for years.

Ok guys, finally got contacted again from the collector that gave me the guestament. Here is where the collector came up with the value. Look at the link to the Antique Road Show at the Bonnie Blue Banner. http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/roadshow/archive/200905A49.html Unfortunately for that collector the banner was a repro but look at the appraisal for if it was real (40-60K). The collector and I realize it is from a different period but due to the size being larger and this banner being in a better condition, it may be around the same value.

Ok guys, finally got contacted again from the collector that gave me the guestament. Here is where the collector came up with the value. Look at the link to the Antique Road Show at the Bonnie Blue Banner. http://www.pbs.org/w.../200905A49.html Unfortunately for that collector the banner was a repro but look at the appraisal for if it was real (40-60K). The collector and I realize it is from a different period but due to the size being larger and this banner being in a better condition, it may be around the same value.

Just my honest opinion here.I dont mean to sound rude or condesending.I think your banner is gorgeous,

The key as you noted is the period.Size really has nothing to do with it(ok ladies quit laughing) :D

Comparing a Civil War banner to a Recruiting banner is akin to comparing a Porche to a Toyota Celica.Civil War banners and standards ar inheirintly rare.Condition isnt usually a factor.Confederate related banners or flags fall into the Black Hole rare catagory and even post CW related Confederate banners to organizations or battle flags can still bring huge money no matter what size they are.Such damage is often battle related and only adds to the value.I have a early Span Am era Stars and Bars US flag and its huge.Found a note saying it was off a ship but Im not really thinking so as its not heavily reinforced on the bunting for ships use.Point is the thing is massive but I dont think its size is where the value could possibly be.Its value is in the area of its age and the time frame when Nevada was brought into the union from what flag people say.I also have heard the old line constantly from the german flag boys that bigger isnt better...the bigger the banner the harder it is to display.I have a german battle flag thats roughly 9 foot wide by 18 feet long.Its impressive but its a pain to fold and maintain.I have as I like it and know who brought it back.Most dealers wouldnt want it other than a table cover as it size is not to their likeing..So size to me isnt or hasnt been a very real factor in determining value.

Speaking of the Road show I think there was one done in Nebraska,either Lincoln or Omaha.The had a guest with an original AVG flag,,,all chinese made silk with the flying tiger on it.They had a large appraisal on it and it could or could not be worth that but in this case it definately was one of a kind.

Thanks for letting me be part of the discussion

Here is another recruiting banner. This one was not in "Grampa's Chest" I got this off Ebay cause I thought it was cool. I figure this one was made around the late 60's/early 70's cause it's screen printed. It's also double sided and the same size as the blue one.I have never seen one of these before and tried to "Goggle" it with no finds. When I get the time I am going to swing by the MCRD museum and get some insight. Any insight here?

Speaking of Grampa's chest, I have a couple of more things I have no idea what they are and will have another "Topic" started on these to not confuse anyone. I appreciate the help and the occassional smart comments :D.

post-106264-0-22742600-1357080392.jpg

post-106264-0-87160900-1357080393.jpg

The DPSC would make it aroud that time frame maybe later.

I have seen a few of the recruiters table covers as well.They are like a heavy wool felt blanket with applied letters.This was back in the 80s and 90 here locally when they were looking for "volunteers" :lol:

Doyler, I have one of those too(the modern heavy wool recruiting blankets). Those are not rare at all, they still use those today at recruiting stations. Have you ever seen any pictures with the red and yellow one in use? It's odd I can find pictures with the blue one but not the red one. If the red one was widely used, there would be pictures of it in use unless this was a short term thing.

Brig,

I have always looked at this website to do research on military, especially Marine Corps stuff I have but never joined. When I did sign up they said I could not post anything until I have 50 post. So I figured the best way was to get attention in a big way. If I would have posted it for $100 would you have noticed?

You can join and post pictures,comment or replies to others but in the past there were evidently some problems so the 50 post miniumum was geared toward getting known on the forum and you have to have 50 posts of some form or another in order to sell or post slaes items here not just to participate.

Doyler, I have one of those too(the modern heavy wool recruiting blankets). Those are not rare at all, they still use those today at recruiting stations. Have you ever seen any pictures with the red and yellow one in use? It's odd I can find pictures with the blue one but not the red one. If the red one was widely used, there would be pictures of it in use unless this was a short term thing.

No I havent seen pictures but the ones I recall were red and yellow

Just to give you all a heads-up. I will be reposting the banner on Ebay to see what it will hit. it's still availble for $49,500...any takers :D. Unless it hit and awesome price i am not selling. i may do the same with the yellow/red screen printed one and add the modern one. I may bundle/group them together and see what it top out at. Thinking to start out at $400 for the group...thoughts

Roadshow has little credibility on the market. Things never sell at 'value'. I've also heard of shady practices behind the scene at Roadshow

Kind of like Pawn Stars, their militaria 'expert' is usually greatly, greatly over-inflated in his estimates

I think $400 is a reasonable opening bid. Looking forward to seeing how high it goes

Wishing you the best of luck with your future sales on ebay. This Forum is very good at telling you what you have, but I for one feel a bit uncomfortable in helping a seller set prices for their sales...if that is what your asking. .

Dirk..thanks for the input but I am not setting the price based off of this forum. I am not going to sell it for a couple of hundred dollars, I just wanted to know what "real world" thoughts were on this piece since no one really has the slightest clue on the value (not even me).

Wishing you the best of luck with your future sales on ebay. This Forum is very good at telling you what you have, but I for one feel a bit uncomfortable in helping a seller set prices for their sales...if that is what your asking. .

This has been an on going topic on the forum about "price"or "value".It boils down to what some one will eventually pay.Both price and value are subjective.What one person values another dont.Thats the beauty of auction.One time something sells high the next time same item sells for less.Seen it here locally to day when a standard Japanese rifle bayonet with hooked guard and frog in low fair condition sold for $240 and they are a hard sell at gun shows for half in this condition.So whats the bayonet worth??I think Dirk is basically saying the forum isnt an appraisal site and often more than not people only post here for the purpose of show casing their auction items or to get someone to price it.Best thing to do is place a reserve on an item.This way you protect your investment while testing the waters.

Roadshow has little credibility on the market. Things never sell at 'value'. I've also heard of shady practices behind the scene at Roadshow

Kind of like Pawn Stars, their militaria 'expert' is usually greatly, greatly over-inflated in his estimates

I think $400 is a reasonable opening bid. Looking forward to seeing how high it goes

Tim

I totally agree but I see it all the time how people quoate these shows.Also many of these scenarios are set ups,Dramma made for TV

Remember the gatling gun on Pawn Stars?....they tried to buy it but in reality it was not for sale.But look at the free publicity the guy got for his shop and a check Im sure for his time.

Then the time the bought a non descipt WW2 navy jumper and trousers for $150 but have trouble buying a painted A2 untill its appraised and would be a hard sale.

(it sold on ebay for 5 times what they paid for it)

As many of you know I have been working on a book on the homefront flags and banners of WW1 & WW2. I have been looking for and buying flags like this for years. There was one like this from pre WW2 1930s dated (in blue & white) that was for sale at the show of shows for around $600, but we could not come to terms. As far as value of this one here, I have not seen any of these sell for over $1k. They are nice but as Mike stated collecting and displaying them is not easy.

I have been fotunate enough to have several forum members loan me some of these types of banners for photographing, and not to hijack this thread but I would encourage any others with anything interesting ( and / or supporting photos or documents) to let me know what they may have. Thanks!

The Roadshow appraisers offen ( not always I know) quote an insurance estimate so its not necessarily an inflated retail number.

Thanks to all for all of the information. I have took the suggestion of listing it on Ebay (again) just to see what it goes for. I am not anxious to sell the blue one. When is the next time I will have one of these, the answer....never !

• 4 weeks later...

Here's a photo from my collection of a recruiting shoulder patch being worn, circa 1938-9. Lt Thomas Ridge (center), discusses something with two recruitors...

01-26-2013 01;08;13PM.jpg

teufelhunde.ret

Great pic! Note the Sgt on the right has opened the top of the left cuff to carry a couple pens... bet he has blank enlistment papers tucked into the blouse!

Thanks to all for all of the information. I have took the suggestion of listing it on Ebay (again) just to see what it goes for. I am not anxious to sell the blue one. When is the next time I will have one of these, the answer....never !

I see by your ebay listingyou are in my old hometown of Chula Juana

Bob

Castle Park 68

Great pic! Note the Sgt on the right has opened the top of the left cuff to carry a couple pens... bet he has blank enlistment papers tucked into the blouse!

speaking of which, I got a set of those in the mail yesterday from WWII...full blank enlistment application. Pretty cool stuff