Vietnam 101st Airborne Jungle Top

Tommymonkey192

Tommymonkey192

Named SP4, 101st Airborne Division

OG107 jungle uniform dated 1969; 173rd Airborne Brigade combat patch; 101st Airborne Division SSI, Parachutist's Badge; 2nd Class Diver Badge; Jungle Expert patch.

I recently won this on eBay and it arrived today. Given the high collectibility of 101st Airborne Division and 173rd Airborne Brigade items, I started having my doubts in light of the fact that I won the auction with just one bid. What are your thoughts on it? Is it for real or not? If it isn't, no big deal because it only set me back twenty bucks.

DSCF0961-1.jpg

DSCF0955-1.jpg

DSCF0957-1.jpg

DSCF0959-1.jpg

DSCF0960-1.jpg

DSCF0958-1.jpg

I don't have a good feeling about it, patches look recently applied and I may be wrong but the Army wouldn't be cool with short sleeves.

I agree.I don't like the color subdued combo either.

Colored US Army tape on a rip-stop jacket? No way!

The "bubble" badge should be there either, especially in subdued.

You could find this configuration (minus the bubble) in 1965/66 on a 1st or 2nd pattern jacket, with cut edge patches (on your jacket the patches are later merrowed edge ones).

3rd pattern jungle jacket with a lot of modern patches applied. Rank would NOT have been color and on the sleeve, US Army tape is the wrong style, all merrowed edge patches, etc. I would say (judging by the shortened sleeves and blue thread behind the army tape) that it was a USAF jacket someone added army patches to.

I concur with the above, plus that scuba badge looks like a more contemporary mid 1970s to 2000s type on that Perma Press poly cotton blend material, these are kinda tricky sometimes as they did make some of the qualifcation and skill badges on OD cotton twill cloth, but here my gut feelings are that if you burned a thread from it it would not burn cotton but poly blend.

The only possible legitamacy on this coat, would be that it is a vet piece made up for reunions or parades etc in the past, but that has yet to be seen or determined.