Who would these awards have been awarded to?

Started by Dave , Dec 28 2012 12:50 PM

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Dave

Dave

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 209
  • 9,960 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:50 PM

Okay, I know these are foreign awards, but here's the dilemma...the family I'm communicating with doesn't know if they were awarded to their grandfather, who was a Sergeant in the US Army in WW1 and earned the Croix de Guerre, or the son in law, who was a naval aviator (LTjg) in the Atlantic who was later MIA in the Pacific. His final awards were one AM and one DFC. The lady doesn't know where else they would have come from...so any thoughts? I'm in a quandary as I don't think either a Sergeant or LTjg would have gotten these...

Dave

Attached Images

• H_MEDAL1.jpg

Edited by Dave, 28 December 2012 - 12:51 PM.

#2 Dave

Dave

• Moderators
  • 9,960 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:52 PM

Next...

Attached Images

• H_MEDAL2.jpg

#3 Dave

Dave

• Moderators
  • 9,960 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:52 PM

And again...

Attached Images

• H_MEDAL3.jpg

#4 Dave

Dave

• Moderators
  • 9,960 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:53 PM

Last...for now (the family says they might have more...)

Attached Images

• H_MEDAL4.jpg

#5 artur95

artur95
  • Members
    • Member ID: 50,337
  • 337 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:15 PM

I am not an exert whatsoever on these medals, but I do know the first one is Polish.

Since you said the grandfather was a Sgt. in the First World war, maybe he did something with Haller's army in France? I know a lot of Polish Americans signed up to fight with the "Blue Army," and maybe he was attached to them somehow.

It's just a theory, but do you know what campaigns he participated in?

Again, I'm not an expert. Maybe *someone on the forum can give a little bit of insight into Polish decorations.

Hope I helped a bit,

-Artur

EDIT: *someone

Edited by artur95, 28 December 2012 - 01:16 PM.

#6 Chow Hound

Chow Hound
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,708
  • 588 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:46 PM

Dave,

I doubt the first medal would have been awarded to a World War I enlisted soldier. Poland didn't regain its independence until 1918. The Order of Polonia Restituta was established in February 1921, with the first one being awarded in July of that year to Marshal Józef Piłsudski. During World War II it was awarded to MacArthur, Bradley, Eisenhower, and March. Unlikely a Ltjg would have gotten one. I think these are probably souvenirs of the Ltjg's or maybe someone in the family collected medals.

Semper Fi,
Bruce Linz

#7 Dave

Dave

• Moderators
  • 9,960 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:29 PM

Thanks for the opinions so far. I agree...these are nothing short of odd. However, other than the two men, no one else in the family had any connection to the military at all - or even any interest in it. Strange...

Here are some more...

Attached Images

• H_MEDAL5.jpg
  • H_MEDAL6.jpg

#8 Sal

Sal
  • Members
    • Member ID: 114
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:37 PM

Dave,
Finland Order of the White Rose, Poland Polonia Restituta, Bulgaria Order of Civil Merit, Belgium Order of the Crown. I agree, can't see an enlisted soldier regardless of junior enlisted or NCO being awarded these foreign awards, and a LtJg would not either.....if he was an aide de camp, maybe picked them up in travels but highly unlikely awarded. They almost look like a series that might be awarded to a diplomat considering they are generally civil orders. If the reverse of the Polish order is dated 1944 then we know it is not from the kingdom period and not a WW I piece. It looks too flat and not the right period enamel work. Overall, likely brought back through someone's travels but not awarded to either veteran IMHO

#9 Dave

Dave

• Moderators
  • 9,960 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:12 PM

I kept asking and it turns out that the family DID have a diplomat in the family! A rather interesting character!

Never know what's going to turn up! Here's an interesting story about the guy and his abandoned mansion (not the family I'm corresponding with):

http://plainview.pat...lainviews-woods

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

In Memory of Co-Founder GREG MILLS ROBINSON, a.k.a. "Marine-KaBar"
(February 17, 1949 - March 5, 2011)