Corporal Robert E Krell, Yank Magazine Correspondent, KIA, Wesel, 24 March 1945

patches

Found this on one Cpl Bob Krell, Yank Magazine Correspondent, the search for him was peaked by my interest in that I first seen the story on him in a Yank Magazine compilation photo book I got back in around 1984 ( I don't have it anymore ) I knew nothing more about him other than the combat narrative of his death.

http://www.ancientfa...york-kia/406081

http://fultonhistory...cale - 6380.pdf

In the Spring of 1988 I got a Temp job as a worker in one of our local Jewish cemeteries, there alot of them in my neck of the woods in Queens, in the Jewish ones alot of local guys work in them, all of us naturally being gentiles. Mount Carmel, it is a two section cemetery bisected by a totally differant Jewish Cemetery, you can walk around the other cemetery to the other section, but there is no road, so if we had to go up to the other section, the upper section, we all had to pile into a van and be drivin up a street called Cypress Hills Street, the Cypress Hills National Cemetery's section of Confederate POWs and Union Veterans are right across the way from Mount Carmel's upper section across the Jackie Robertson ( Interboro) Parkway, on the way up you also will pass the front gate of Machpelah cemetery, were Harry Houdini is buried, you can in fact see his tomb from the road, this cemetery is believe or not an essentially an abandoned cemetery now.

One day while working in this upper section, I happened upon Krell's grave, completely taken aback, I noticed the name as the guy from Yank, he had if I can recall jump wings engraved on the tomb stone which is a Private non governmental tomb stone, I was suprised to learn also that the Krell'S lost two sons, something I don't recall being mention in the Yank book. his brother who was in the Navy and killed in a training acident is buried alongside him.

Wow, great story! Recently came across a Veterens Cemetery here in the Pacific NW. Many Civil War, WWI, WWII vets buried therein, including a Civil War Medal of Honor Vet.

Wow, great story! Recently came across a Veterens Cemetery here in the Pacific NW. Many Civil War, WWI, WWII vets buried therein, including a Civil War Medal of Honor Vet.

Thank's, there's alot of MOH recipents buried around these parts, lots of cemetaries around here as mentioned, most but not all of them died years later along in their lives.

Here's a list of them that are in Calvary Cemetary in Woodside Queens alone.

And Thoughout Cypress Hills Cemetary.

Marine Sergeant John Mapes Adams, Medal of Honor recipient for action during the Boxer Rebellion. Section 2, Grave 8262.

Coxswain John Cooper, aka John Laver Mather, two time Medal of Honor recipient. The first for action on board USS Brooklyn during the Battle of Mobile Bay, and the second a year later while serving on Rear Admiral Henry K. Thatcher's staff in Mobile, Alabama. Section 2, Grave 7410.

Army Sergeant Wilbur E. Colyer, Medal of Honor recipient for action at the Battle of Verdun during World War I. Section 2, Grave 8588.

Marine Sergeant Major Daniel Joseph Daly, two time Medal of Honor recipient. The first for action in the Boxer Rebellion, and the second for action in Haiti in 1915. Section 5, Grave 70.

Marine Private James Dougherty, Medal of Honor recipient for action aboard USS Carondelet (second ship by that name) in Korea in 1871. Section 6, Grave 12374.

Army Private Christopher Freemeyer, Medal of Honor recipient for action in Montana Territory during the Indian Wars. Section 2, Grave 5259.

Army Sergeant Major Frederick W. Gerber, Medal of Honor recipient for 32 years of service to the US Army during the Indian Wars. Section 2, Grave 1601.

Army Sergeant Patrick Golden, Medal of Honor recipient for action in the Arizona Territory during the Indian Wars. Section 2, Grave 4316.

Army First Sergeant Edward P. Grimes, Medal of Honor recipient for action in Colorado Territory during the Indian Wars. Section 2, Grave 7210.

Army Sergeant Bernhard Jetter, Medal of Honor recipient for action during the Indian Wars. Section 5, Grave 1.

Chief Watertender Johannes J. Johannessen, Medal of Honor recipient for peace time service aboard USS Iowa. Section 2, Grave 7425.

Quartermaster Edward S. Martin, Medal of Honor recipient for action at the Battle of Mobile Bay during the Civil War. Section 2, Grave 5966.

Lieutenant Mons Monssen, Medal of Honor recipient for peace time service aboard USS Missouri. Section OS, Grave 190.

Army Sergeant John Nihill, Medal of Honor recipient for action in Arizona Territory during the Indian Wars. Section 2, Grave 6640.

Quartermaster Third Class Anton Olsen, Medal of Honor recipient for action aboard USS Marblehead during the Spanish-American War. Section 2, Grave 9158.

Army Private Henry Rodenburg, Medal of Honor recipient for action in Montana Territory during the Indian Wars. Section 2, Grave 5825.

Army Sergeant Valentine Rossbach, Medal of Honor recipient for action at the Battle of Spotsylvania Court House during the Civil War. Section 2, Grave 5427.

Army Private John Schiller, Medal of Honor recipient for action at the Battle of Chaffin's Farm during the Civil War. Section 5, Grave 3.

Chief Watertender Eugene P. Smith, Medal of Honor recipient for peace time service aboard USS Decatur. Section 2, Grave 7742.

Gunner's Mate First Class Wilhelm Smith, Medal of Honor recipient for peace time service aboard USS New York. Section 2, Grave 9492.

Marine Gunnery Sergeant Peter Stewart, Medal of Honor recipient for action during the Boxer Rebellion. Section 2, Grave 7303.

Army Private James W. Webb, Medal of Honor recipient for action at the Second Battle of Bull Run during the Civil War. Section 2, Grave 7410.

Army First Sergeant Henry Wilkens, Medal of Honor recipient for action in Montana Territory during the Indian Wars. Section 2, Grave 5325.

Seaman Louis Williams, a.k.a. Ludwig Andreas Olsen, two time Medal of Honor recipient. Both medals were for peace time service aboard USS Lackawanna. Section 2, Grave 12616.

At least two in in the Lutheran Cemetary Glendale/Middle Village.

GEORGE UHRL Civil War

Birth:

Oct. 21, 1838

Death:

Sep. 28, 1911

WILLIAM LORD Civil War

Birth:

Feb. 13, 1841

Death:

Aug. 4, 1915

Wilber Colyer from WWI in Cypress Hills is the only posthmous awardee I can see here in the the two large groups. There's will be at least one more Posthmous MOH awardee buried in Queens, Pfc Louis E Willet, C co 1/12 Inf, 4th Inf Div, MOH, KIA, RVN 15 February 1967, he along with Bosun's Mate William H.Morin MOH USN Spanish American War recipent 1869- 1935 will be found in Saint John's Catholic Cemetary in Glendale/Middle Village.

Lots of more stuff on War Dead here in Queens that I will look for to post, most noteably a very large plot in one of the Jewish Cemetaries that was laid out in the late 40s, early 50s and hold reintered Jewish serviceman all KIA, or DIS overseas (Died in Service) during WWII.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 8 months later...

Got Images of America book on Cyrpess Hills Cemetery, and in it there list 7 out of the 8 MOH recipients buried there, and their tombstones, now these 7 are those not buried in the National Cemeteries Cypress Hills has, they have two of them, these are apparently scattered in different sections in the main cemetery, the civilian cemetery if you like. And are not on the list I posted way back in post # 3

post-34986-0-66343500-1570839288.jpg[

attachment=1454773:phpyFmUqEPM.jpg]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_C._Hibson

Got Images of America book on Cyrpess Hills Cemetery, and in it there list 7 out of the 8 MOH recipients buried there, and their tombstones, now these 7 are those not buried in the National Cemeteries Cypress Hills has, they have two of them, these are apparently scattered in different sections in the main cemetery, the civilian cemetery if you like. And are not on the list I posted way back in post # 3

post-34986-0-66343500-1570839288.jpg[

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_C._Hibson

post-34986-0-60454000-1570839331_thumb.jpg

• 3 years later...

And here is Bob Krell and his Navy Brother Clyde's Tombstone, a slight memory error on my part as it has the Paraglider Cap Patch engraved on it rather than Jump Wings.

krell 2.PNG

krell.PNG