LINCOLN

Jim Baker

Phenomenal.

Yep. If Daniel Day Lewis doesn't get the Best Actor Oscar, something is severely wrong!

I can't comment on the political wrangling the movie depicts, but it seems believable. Just don't think you're going to see a movie about the civil war and you'll enjoy it - it's a movie which takes during the war, and that's a critical difference.

Steve

I agree. The Civil War is the background for telling the story of the political maneuvering that too place to pass the 13th Amendment which prohibits slavery.

This fills a gap in my education... I'd read that it was passed during the Civil War, but just assumed that Congress and other people of influence just all agreed it was a good idea.

Apparently, not so...

But there are some things in it for the military buff. I thought their depiction of Lincoln's military communcations center was interesting.

Excellent movie that did not get enough initial publicity.

I was disappointed. I'm not into political history - this movie was almost entirely about the political struggle behind getting the 13th amendment passed.Though an important event, I didn't know they had written an entire movie about that. I was hoping for more about the man, or the Civil War, or both - not just the few months encompassing that single event. Just my two cents worth...

Fantastic film! I thought that it did give us more insight into Lincoln. Although we have seen him on film as a loving father and husband, we've rarely seen him portrayed as a political fighter. I also thought the way that they addressed Mary's depression was very well done.

How Daniel Day Lewis was able to portray himself as physically lanky also amazed me!

Superior film.

I also recommend the book that it's based off of....."Team of Rivals".......which covers Lincoln's political career in the 1850s.

He was able to become everyone's "second choice" for the GOP nomination for president, then incorporated most of the other major political players into his administration...and was able to manage all of these strong personalities in the midst of the Civil War.

I listened to it on CD......very captivating.

I don't plan on rushing out to see another movie aimed at the topic of this one, which I will then be obliged to decipher and once again sort fact from fiction. I hope it has some actual educational value beyond propaganda.

I think you have to be a fan of Lincoln to really appreciate the film. Of course no one really knows what went on behind the scenes, but fortunately for us, Washington was about the same then as now and there were few secrets. That said, the basis of the film followed the facts pretty closely.

I find the man to be fascinating and rate him among our top five presidents. He was definitely the best example of "don't judge a book by it's cover" that I have ever seen. He did what had to be done to preserve the union, but most importantly, he realized WHAT had to be done and had the fortitude to do it.

If you just want to watch guys matching around on the battlefield, this is not your movie.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought LINCOLN was one of the best period films I've ever seen. I left the theater wishing I could see D.Day Lewis in another Lincon film. I thought Spielberg also did an excellent job of not being too "Spielberg" in his directing. He just laid out the story without his usual emotional manipulation that seems to be his trademark. A superior film and gets my highest rating.

Interesting casting...an Englishman as one of America's most iconic Presidents. He certainly has the "look". I'm looking forward to seeing it on its UK release.

post-8022-0-32687900-1357488612.jpg

Interesting casting...an Englishman as one of America's most iconic Presidents. He certainly has the "look". I'm looking forward to seeing it on its UK release.

Not the first time a British Born actor played a U.S. President. "A Landsmann" of your's Ian played one :D

The Welshman Anthony Hopkins as Nixon.

post-34986-0-11009000-1357491251.jpg

I loved this movie. And I thought Daniel Day-Lewis was a fantastic Lincoln. Plus, the guy who played Ulysses S. Grant certainly looked the part. I also liked how they made sure to depict the way Robert E. Lee and his men were treated with respect and grace by Grant (and by extension, Lincoln).

If you would like to read another book that reveals the political wrangling and maneuvering executed by Lincoln, who many thought to be a country 'bumpkin' but who was anything but, read "Freedom," by William Safire. A wonderful read, and enlightening for anyone who wishes to better understand the 16th president and what it took to keep his Cabinet working as a team. Remarkable!

I loved this film. It seems that just about everything D.D.Lewis does is quality. Not being an real fan of the Federals during this period and their portrayal of the slavery issue as shown in films, I found this movie rather refreshing. The slavery issue was only a small part of the War Between the States. SO many films as well as the directors seem to glorify the anti-slavery issue. Lincoln had his own plan, which usually for the most part omitted. This movie makes a good attempt at showing history. Lincoln was a passionate man and it portrays him in the light. I will not give a history lesson here.

The movie was excellent. A must have when is comes out on DVD. AAA+++ OSCAR please!

So was it better than Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter? :D

In all seriousness, I'd love to have a chance to see it. Been so busy of late, I need to get out some!

Definitely one to see. The rangling in Congress is probably not unlike the 'fiscal cliff' negotiations.

Did anyone else notice Grant's Native American aide? -- I believe he was a full-blooded Mohawk. Apparently Lee was taken aback by his presence at Appomottax because he thought the guy was African-American!

One should also look into the Thaddeus Stevens character -- he had real reason to be bitter.

G

historyandcultures

I also really liked this movie. I thought the dialogue was convincing and the lighting of the film was very 19th century as well.

Not the first time a British Born actor played a U.S. President. "A Landsmann" of your's Ian played one :D

The Welshman Anthony Hopkins as Nixon.

post-34986-0-11009000-1357491251.jpg

So he did Kevin...I'd forgotten about him!

Hopkins........or Nixon?? ;)

Come now JS. In terms of his contribution to modern history, who could forget..... Anthony Hopkins? (Born/raised in my neighbourhood BTW!)