Which do you Recommend?

Jack's Son

Whatever is in stock, man. I live in a fairly rural area, local small gunshop picked up $16,000 worth of guns from their wholesaler and had them SOLD the next day. Lotta people around here had something fun in their stocking! If you are looking for an AR, DPMS, Bushmaster, Windham, they're all good. I have a plain-Jane DPMS doctored up Vietnam style, shoots nice, and have shot all the others. AK-wise, I know some are better than others, but they're all pretty hard to abuse to the point of failure. Never cared much for them, too short in the stock for me, and I am far from a tall guy.

These days choices are dictated by what is in left in stock. And in California the choices are further limited by state law:

http://www.tenpercentfirearms.com/index.php?main_page=ar15

For Christmas I got my son a 505 fps airsoft AK-47 and the way this state is going I can imagine those will be banned within in a year.

Something that shoots .223 and some thing that shoots 7.62X39, and something that shoots 30-06, and somehting that shoots .308 NATO. That should do it! :D

Jack my Son you asked an opened question. What do you consider and "assualt rifle"? Are you looking for an black rifle, AK, M1, M1 carbine, M14, SKS, Brown Bess et etc.

What would you like this weapon to do for you?

I'm found of the M1 and M14 myself.

I now realize I was being a bit widow in my search. I am looking for the black, AR, AK type of rifle that is .223 and is good for home and property protection. Keeping the Feds away.

I don't think a brown bess will be safe. It gives off too much smoke. You have to watch that polution you know.

Around here there are almost no semi-automatic rifles left except for a few AR-22s I saw at the gun shop today. Chances are by the end of the week or Monday at the latest, they will be gone.

I now realize I was being a bit widow in my search. I am looking for the black, AR, AK type of rifle that is .223 and is good for home and property protection. Keeping the Feds away.

IF you are truly concerned with home & property defense, then buy a shotgun. Don't get sucked into the gun hysteria of the "black helicopter" crowd or "the UN is coming to get my guns" crowd. You are just wasting money on a neat-looking weapon that is far from optimal for true home defense (but great fun to target shoot!).

Save yourself hundreds of dollars and buy a good quality pump shotgun. With a little practice, you can pump rounds about as fast as a more expensive semiauto. Nothing beats the lethality and dependability of a shotgun for home defense IMHO.

If you really want an assault rifle, ask yourself who do you want to assault?

good luck in your quest.

Terry

I really like the "retro" Vietnam era m16 clones on a Nodak Spud lower. I think theirs some more parts kits coming in or you can piece together a really nice example with correct barrel and upper. The Retro forum on ARF.com or retro black rifle.com has lots of info should you decide to take it on.

Don't get sucked into the gun hysteria of the "black helicopter" crowd or "the UN is coming to get my guns" crowd.

Yep, those black rifle owners are all a bunch of whack cases. I will be the first to agree that a shotgun is a great home defense weapon. That's what I use. I just haven't read anything in his post that says he wants one for home defense.

IF you are truly concerned with home & property defense, then buy a shotgun. Don't get sucked into the gun hysteria of the "black helicopter" crowd or "the UN is coming to get my guns" crowd. You are just wasting money on a neat-looking weapon that is far from optimal for true home defense (but great fun to target shoot!).

Save yourself hundreds of dollars and buy a good quality pump shotgun. With a little practice, you can pump rounds about as fast as a more expensive semiauto. Nothing beats the lethality and dependability of a shotgun for home defense IMHO.

If you really want an assault rifle, ask yourself who do you want to assault?

good luck in your quest.

Terry

Ditto. A shotgun and a good pistol is all you need for home defense.

Besides, if you aren't properly trained, it can be a bit stressful having to shoot at another person despite what all the John Wayne types tell you. The shotgun will allow you to point and shoot quickly and "greatly" increase your chances of hitting the target. And if you miss you will probably have scared the living s**t out of the bad guy.

If you are inside the house, I would recommend a pistol anyway. Easier to handle and move quietly.

As far as a semi auto rifle, I've had AR and AK. What I really liked though was a Ruger mini 14. Very easy to take care of and they offer a lot of assault type accessories.

Just my preferences.

Yep, those black rifle owners are all a bunch of whack cases. I will be the first to agree that a shotgun is a great home defense weapon. That's what I use. I just haven't read anything in his post that says he wants one for home defense.

See post #13.

Shotgun...M4 Benelli (And Jim if ya miss with the scatter gun the bang and flash scares the hell out of them) :lol:

Semi auto Rifle Springfield Armory M1A

Bolt action Rifle : Mac Tac .338 or .416 or Accuarcy International (.338 mag)

http://www.mcmfamily.com/mcmillan-rifles-tactical-tac-338.php

Pistol...find something you like in a .40 and a 9mm.One is good two are better.High cap mags are even better.Also something in a compact wouldnt hurt for concealed carry.I have a PK380 Walther and love it.I know a few guys here do the Ruger LC 9mm.Main thing is find something you like the way it fits and handles.If you dont like autos try a revelover.I have a Smith 586 in a 6inch 357.Not a good concealed carry but its a heck of a revolver.

Most any AK is going to get you by.To me the older pre-ban ones were of good quality.Not up on all the newer ones but I would think most any of the eastern bloc made stuff would do.I had an older Maadi once and t was nice.my others are older pre-banI know there is a milled verses stamped arguement on the recievers.There use to be a Legend Series with a milled reciever.Even a SkS would be a good all around rifle.Simple,Reliable ad Realitively inexpensive(til now).I know many firearms experts often suggest stocking a few spare parts as well.Springs,firing pins etc.

JS,

I know it's not a 223 but the FNPS90 is, black easy to handle easy to shoot, clean, and it's ambidextrous so you can go lefty righty by simply switching arms. It is a bull pup very light and has lots of accessories that can be added to include a class three SBR and or a full auto conversion, for those willing to pay for the stamp etc... and tons of fun to shoot. Outside of CA they have a 50 round mag and the 5.7 round comes in a variety of styles to include armor piercing. It also has a matching pistol that has a 20 round mag that a 10 round can extension can be added for extra fun.

It’s not a .223 but the FN lovers out there often argue about its power and ballistics when comparing it to the .223 and 9mm. None FN fans often argue that the round is odd and the ballistics questionable when compared to the latter 2, so beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Mostly they make great zombie killers. :lol:

newPS90.jpg

iom.jpg

...and has lots of accessories that can be added to include a class three SBR and or a full auto conversion, for those willing to pay for the stamp etc...

What do you mean by full auto conversion? The registry has been closed since 1986 and looks like it will stay closed for the forseeable future. Any new machine guns made can only be made by licenced dealers/builders and cannot be transfered to ordinary people.

What do you mean by full auto conversion? The registry has been closed since 1986 and looks like it will stay closed for the forseeable future. Any new machine guns made can only be made by licenced dealers/builders and cannot be transfered to ordinary people.

You can use transferable AUG sears.