M-1948 parka

Undertoker

??? Isn't 800 quid about $1300? I'm thinking you would be much further ahead to have it shipped from the US, I shipped one about two months ago and it cost $40.

thats my plan if i can find a mint M-48 in the US around February, im kinda building bridges in here to do just that really

Im really not sure what size to go for yet, you get tolds all sorts of things, ive heard anything over medium is kinda harder to get.

Im a medium in an M65 and im told like the M65 the M48s are well oversized

Ive actrually learnt quite a lot on here already

Hi,let me ask you first what is your intention on this parka.If you plan to wear it over a pullover or a fleece for riding your MOD Lambretta then you need to look for an small sized parka.Remember those where intended to wear over : shirt cotton,shirt wool,Field jacket(with or without liner) and then the parka! Yeah onion style.So they run VERY BIG!

If you can go to any store and try one in your propper size.Then start looking for them.

I have an mint XL size parka and liner.But i am 192 cm tall and 100 kg.

I do own also an large size EX-48 parka,complete with fiberglass liner.

I will start looking on ebay for you as we speak.They run on the 140 dollars here in the us.Incl liner.But need to be patient.DON´T BUY AT 800 quid!!!!!Patience is a virtud.

Karl

Appreciated Karl

I dont want to pay 800 quid tbh and i wont have that sort of money till about february

a couple hundred bucks i could do though

I really do want to wait for a pristine one though bud, its going to be my pride and joy =0)

Im guessing if they run "very big" id need a medium really, id want to wear it over a suit on occasion, the medium M65 i got seems to do that ok.

Thats my only worry, buying one from the US that i cant try on, but then again for the price id save i could sell it on if it was too tight i guess

Ive been told the larger ones are harder to get hold of ?

thanks for the advice, i really do need it and its great to be able to get people who know giving you assistance.

I dont even mind paying a few hundred bucks for the rght one Karl tbh, id rather pay top dollar for a really nice, completely original one.

Im 6ft 2", long in the body and hover around the 15 and a half stone weight wise

You think i ought to get a large or Medium ?

As for wearing it, its mostly just to look smart and keep me warm bud, im also an Undertaker and as such i spend quite a bit of time outside at night, so itll keep me toasty as well on occasion.

Is there any chance you can test an M-1951 parka somewhere?Or even the later M-65?They built the same in size.

EX-48 liners where not so bulky as the terry liners of 1948 parkas.M-65 liners are also thinner.Large size parka would fit on you as an XL or XXL FJ(field jacket).Remember that.

Look at manions auctions too.But mint items are rare but they show from time to time.

Look at this auction I posted a year ago.......and no one bid on it!!!!!!

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/113456-mint-m-1948-parka-liner-both-medium/page__hl__%2Bm-1948+%2Bparka

The listing is gone for the eBay one, so I can't really see it, but the photo looks good

The XL M48 looks like the sort of thing I'm after mate, lovely cond.

I fail to understand any M48 not getting a single bid, bizarre mate

Sigh

Can't wait to get one...

I own a 1975 "Vanderbilt" made M65 in medium size, that fits me nicely.

Are the 48s similar in sizes to the 65s ?

I've heard various tales, some say the 51s are small , everyone says the 65s are big

I guess trying them on is the only way to be 100%

But a med m65 fits me, a large would probably be a safer buy I guess

Don´t mix M-65 field jacket with parka!!!!

If your field jacket in size medium fits you comfi then a small size parka will do the same.

Now an medium size M-65 will fit like an XL field jacket.Try to find an store that have such item and try it before waisting money.

M-1951 field jackets do not have the expansion on the rear of shoulders like the M-41 and M-65 jackets.M-1943,M-1950 and M-1951 do not have it.That is why they fit snuger when bending to the front.But the shoulder sizes and cuff lengts are similar.

Is not an option to buy a nice M-1951 parka?There are more available on the net.

I own an Medium size mint first contract parka with liner.They are made of a heavier cotton blend.And the liner material is the same as M-48 parkas.

The best parka I own and wear is an N3B. Fantastic quality, warm and extremely comfortable....and it didn't cost the earth. Recommended!

post-8022-0-31509700-1356173873.jpg

Don´t mix M-65 field jacket with parka!!!!

If your field jacket in size medium fits you comfi then a small size parka will do the same.

Now an medium size M-65 will fit like an XL field jacket.Try to find an store that have such item and try it before waisting money.

M-1951 field jackets do not have the expansion on the rear of shoulders like the M-41 and M-65 jackets.M-1943,M-1950 and M-1951 do not have it.That is why they fit snuger when bending to the front.But the shoulder sizes and cuff lengts are similar.

Is not an option to buy a nice M-1951 parka?There are more available on the net.

I own an Medium size mint first contract parka with liner.They are made of a heavier cotton blend.And the liner material is the same as M-48 parkas.

No I've got an M-65 parka bud, not a field jacket.

The M-51s are nice, especially as you say the first contract ones, but they just aren't an M-48 for me.

There really isn't anywhere local to me that I can try a parka on. They all seem to be scores and scores of miles away up north.

I've got a couple of surplus shops reasonably close, but neither stock any US parkas sadly.

The best parka I own and wear is an N3B. Fantastic quality, warm and extremely comfortable....and it didn't cost the earth. Recommended!

The N3B again is a nice parka, but I really want an M-48 tbh.

I'll find one in the end, it just takes a bit more looking I guess for a mint one of these.

Hi guys

I just wanted to take this opportunity to wish you all a Merry Christmas, with health and happiness.

Thank you for the warm welcome into the forum and I look forward to the new year and the M-48 it might bring lol.

All the best

John

Whemn I was on the school patrol in the late 50s we were issued these for standing our posts in the winter. It was OG on one side and white on the other. The ones we had didn't have any sort of liner but were merely a cotton shell.

What a poignant signature, made me think. Especially of the poor souls still MIA. Lost.

Most before I was even born. It's a nice touch you remember them.

When you say standing at "our posts" what exactly was that bud ?

Hi Undertoker,

I've been collecting M-48/M-1948 parkas for about a year now. I've managed to collect seven in various condition. Two of them are mint/unissued, one small, one extra-large. They cost me serious money. I have five others: one small, three size medium and one large. Getting a liner is the hardest part. The two mint/unissued ones have matching liners. For the others, I have one large and one medium liner. All told, seven shells and four liners. I would be wary of vintagetrends.com. They are not accurate enough in their descriptions in my opinion; though I have bought from them (an M51 parka). As other members have already told you, the M-48 is seriously large....the pit-to-pit measurement of a size small is roughly 30 inches....about that of a large m-51. However, they are cut differently and they are shorter in length than the M-51. At only five-eleven and 12 stone or so, my small M-48s fit me very loosely and leave plenty of room to spare, even with the liner inserted. I can kind of get away with wearing the size large, though it looks like a cape, lol. The extra-large is like wearing a tent. There is a blog site belonging to a Japanese collector with lots of pics of M-48s. I can PM the link to you if you wish. The pics alone are quite informative, as he does lots of comparisons with M-51s and M-65s. There is also a very accurate Japanese repro of the M-48 shell....they've gone to ridiculous lengths. But there are no repro liners that I am aware of. The repros are in modern sizing. Good luck in your search!

Hi parka-liner

thanks for the post buddy , but i think i might have one lined up.

Ive given my promise and my word is my bond.

If it falls through ill give you a pm buddy, though any link to an M-48 parka blog is nice, if only to have a look at, so please link it buddy and ill have a looky

thanks again for your input, it is well appreciated =)

when i do get my Parka ill post a couple of pics =0)

what a nice bunch of people we have on here

Ooops, sorry for the misunderstanding. I wasn't trying to sell you a parka, lol. I won't be selling any of mine ;) Am in fact looking at acquiring even more. I was merely trying to warn you about size....M48s are biiiiggggg! Glad you've potentially found what you're looking for and please do post pics. Especially of the liner as there are many different types.

Oh, here's the link to the blog....this guy has an incredible collection of parkas....

http://parkashell.exblog.jp/11535545/

or

http://parkashell.exblog.jp/15576053/

Some reasonable looking parkas

I saw an absolute beauty the other week on eBay and tried to get it, but the guy withdrew it from sale

No doubt he was made a really good offer, I was gutted as I'd have literally bit his hand off for it.

Have a look

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-United-States-Korean-War-Era-Military-Parka-Liner-Hood-w-Fur-M-1948-/121037848016?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&nma=true&si=skFkdaS%2BeQKnQIW4Y%2Bke68yFsho%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Probably the best one I've see to date.

Btw guys Happy new year to you all ;)

The parka I'm about to get is an XL, with a freize liner but I'm a pretty big guy myself tbh at 6ft 2" and 16 stone.

I'm also really long in the body.

Oh, here's the link to the blog....this guy has an incredible collection of parkas....

http://parkashell.exblog.jp/11535545/

or

http://parkashell.exblog.jp/15576053/

Some reasonable looking parkas

I saw an absolute beauty the other week on eBay and tried to get it, but the guy withdrew it from sale

No doubt he was made a really good offer, I was gutted as I'd have literally bit his hand off for it.

Have a look

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-United-States-Korean-War-Era-Military-Parka-Liner-Hood-w-Fur-M-1948-/121037848016?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&nma=true&si=skFkdaS%2BeQKnQIW4Y%2Bke68yFsho%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Probably the best one I've see to date.

Btw guys Happy new year to you all ;)

The parka I'm about to get is an XL, with a freize liner but I'm a pretty big guy myself tbh at 6ft 2" and 16 stone.

I'm also really long in the body.

I'd seen that one. I figured some collector made a good offer as the x-large is the rarest with only 20 in 1000 parks being that size. You could fit four of me in it...or I could wear it over the top of my smaller M48s, lol You mention a frieze liner....but all M48s came with a 100% wool pile liner, in various configurations. Have you decided on an M51 instead??

Another other thing I should mention about the M48....it's warm...in fact, whenever I've worn mine in temps above zero, it has been way too warm, lol. With the liner in, you'll need sub-zero temps to be comfortable in it....and that's assuming you're not wearing a suit underneath. Also, don't let it get wet...today's acidic rain will bleach the shell and rot the liner (which has a tendency to rot when wet anyway). Remember, the M48 was designed for cold, dry weather.

British winter temperatures, being mild, are rarely cold enough to wear such clothing. I've got various military parkas and B3 shearling jackets etc., but hardly ever need to wear them! Take the liner out of a parka...M48 or otherwise.... and it's usually too big to wear anyway...even as just a "fashion statement".