M-1948 parka

Undertoker

Hello guys

this is my first post here, so bear with me please

In february of next year i will be looking to purchase an M-1948 Parka, i am after a mint one, complete with the original liner and with the sleeve pocket intact, in large.

If i can get an unissued one even better, though i understand they are a hard thing to find.

Does anyone have any tips or advice when buying one of these parkas at all ? Does anyone on here have a mint cond/un-issued one they want to sell ?

I have had a good read up on the various websites etc, but i never hurts to ask real experts and i belive that many of you on here are indeed experts.

I fully expect to pay top dollar for the right M-48 parka and am prepared to do so for the right one, hence the reason i am waiting till february when i will have the money.

many thanks in advance for any advice you can offer me.

John

Don't know much about the M-1948, so I won't be much help there. I would post an ad in the Wanted forum when you are ready to buy, there are a lot of dealers that frequent it.

Out of interest guys

Do the M-48 parkas come out big generally like the M-65's ?

I fit into a medium M65 reasonably well, I'm assuming a med or large M-48 would be ok for me?

Regards

John

I've added the pictures so guys know what you're referring to here. (BTW....the scooters are extra!) ;)

Tried here?

http://www.fishtailparkas.com/Fishtail_Parka_my_collection.html

I emailed them this week funny enough

Just waiting to hear back from them

I'm not sure if it's better to buy one from them at about 800 quid

Or get the same thing a lot cheaper from the US and have it shipped over.

I'd still be saving money on the price I'd pay for an M-48 here in the UK

Bear in mind HM Customs will levy 20% VAT (plus £8 handling) on the full amount, including the postage! :o So, lets's say you paid £600 plus shipping for one from the US, the real cost to you would probably be around £750!! (Trust me...I've been there!! )

When somebody from England wants our Parka's how can one not think they are going to use them for their Vespa or Lambretta?

:P

Next you will wanting all our northern soul records.....

Good Luck and Keep The Faith!

Leonardo

In honesty I'll probably end up spending between £800 and £1000 to get a mint M-48 here in the UK.

If I get one for the same or a bit less from the US then I've had a good result in my opinion.

The M-48 I've seen on the US markets seem to go a lot cheaper than here in the UK.

Even with the shipping and 20% vat levy I'd still get one a fair bit cheaper I'd wager.

I guess the trade off is actually being able to try a parka on in the UK against buying it and hoping its what I wanted when it gets here from the US.

I have purchased bits before from the US and yes I do know about the 20% vat levy, it's a shame, but that's life.

I'll keep putting the feelers out till one comes along.

I have seen them on eBay now and then, there was a real peach recently, probably the best one I've ever seen to date, but the guy withdrew it sadly as it was sold already lol

I gather it went for 650 USD, which I thought was a bargain looking at it.

It really was the best one I've ever seen from the photos

*sigh

Ah well , I'll cross me fingers and hope one comes along around February time

Btw

Thanks for all your replies guys, it is appreciated and I take all of the advice given

Nice community feel here

Hi,let me ask you first what is your intention on this parka.If you plan to wear it over a pullover or a fleece for riding your MOD Lambretta then you need to look for an small sized parka.Remember those where intended to wear over : shirt cotton,shirt wool,Field jacket(with or without liner) and then the parka! Yeah onion style.So they run VERY BIG!

If you can go to any store and try one in your propper size.Then start looking for them.

I have an mint XL size parka and liner.But i am 192 cm tall and 100 kg.

I do own also an large size EX-48 parka,complete with fiberglass liner.

I will start looking on ebay for you as we speak.They run on the 140 dollars here in the us.Incl liner.But need to be patient.DON´T BUY AT 800 quid!!!!!Patience is a virtud.

Karl

post-34986-0-47476900-1355973078.jpg

Ian, who's the bird on the scooter, Lovely Rita Meter Maid? :D

Standing by a Parking Meter

When I caught a glimpse of Rita

Filling in a ticket in her little white book

In her cap she looked much older

And her bag across her shoulder

Made her look a little like a military man

Since we are on topic of purchasing a M-1948, let me ask a question. Does anyone have proof that the only M-1948 parkas without the wolf fur are the ones that the US government released for surplus sale? Below is a parka that I bought from a KW vet along with the other items that you see here. Now he may have been mistaken, but he said these were the ones issued to him. However, it has been brought up in another thread that the M-1948s with the wolf fur removed were actually the ones sold off as surplus by Uncle Sam.

I bring this up so when Undertoker buys one, he buys a correct one with the fur (if that's what he wants). Any thoughts?

post-203-0-26491600-1356011328.jpg

??? Isn't 800 quid about $1300? I'm thinking you would be much further ahead to have it shipped from the US, I shipped one about two months ago and it cost $40.

Hi guys

Thanks again for the advice

I'm gonna sit tight and wait it out for the right one to come along.

This is the reason I'd rather join a forum like this and source one outside the UK , they just asking for silly money here.

I'm not intending to wear it on a scooter in honesty. I just like the style of them. I guess I am still a bit of a Mod at heart from my school days though in honesty ;)

I'm 6ft 2" tall, long in the body and around 15 and a half stone.

I've got a medium M65 that fits reasonably well.

I really wasn't sure on the m48 sizing.

There really aren't any shops here hardly (locally) that' stock them to try one on.

I got I say again, what a nice bunch you guys are on here

John