M1 Garand markings

12thengr

Danish Navy. We let Denmark borrow Garands and when they returned those were on some of them. I have a couple that I took off in my parts bin.

Nicely marked stock too.

The entire rifle is more than likely a Danish return sold by CMP a few years ago. I'm assuming the barrel is sleeved but don't remember any Danes coming back in 7.62 but I got into them late.

He said it was a 10-47 SA barrel.

I have one with a VAR barrel. Excellent shooters and highly sought after barrels.

I must have missed that. I see it now! Thanks. I agree the VAR barrels make excellent shooters.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...
10-47 SA barrel, chambered for .308

Can you post a picture of the barrel markings and of the chamber? Does this rifle have a chamber instert?

Amost forgot, nice stock.

Don't see to many Danish Navy rear sight covers around these days either.

I had another thought but I am unable to edit it in to my post from last night.

If you do not have a chamber insert and your barrel is in .308/7.62 NATO, how long is it? The measurement could be taken with the bolt closed (with the rifle unloaded of course) with a cleaning rod inserted in the bore.

The Italians converted many .30-’06 M1 rifles to 7.62 NATO by shortening the chamber end of .30-’06 barrels roughly ½” and then rethreading and rechambering them for the shorter 7.62 NATO cartridge.

The rear handguard, operating rod and the front of the stock were shortened an equal amount. If my memory is correct, the Italians called this modification the “Tipo 2” and many times, that was marked on the operating rod near the handle.

A few years back, “Tipo 2” kits were easily available. I think Sarco may still have some.