Philippine Air Force pictures November/December 1941

vostoktrading

vostoktrading

I found these incredible photos on the Time/Life photo source online: Datestamp November/December 1941 Carl Mydans photographer.

post-7885-0-90320500-1355726340.jpg

post-7885-0-85810100-1355726359.jpg

post-7885-0-89825900-1355726381.jpg

post-7885-0-02306300-1355726426.jpg

vostoktrading

What is a DODO? Must be an aviation recruit/pilot trainee? Here we have Filipinos in training wearing an armband, embroidered insignia and a patch that looks similar to the US cadet training patch. What does DODO stand for/mean? They even have a poem nailed to the wall.

post-7885-0-15968600-1355728421.jpg

post-7885-0-69846700-1355728649.jpg

post-7885-0-63862000-1355728746.jpg

vostoktrading

By the way, At the time, the Philippines were part of the United States Commonwealth and fought valiantly beside the US Army to defend their homeland against the Japanese invader. I hope the powers-that-be understand that this thread does indeed belong in this forum.

post-7885-0-23194800-1355729311.jpg

post-7885-0-77890800-1355729383.jpg

post-7885-0-71882000-1355729486.jpg

vostoktrading

A few questions: The facial hair: What's the deal? These are American advisors with Philippine Forces. Some of them had full beards.

post-7885-0-88543700-1355730034.jpg

post-7885-0-85784100-1355730069.jpg

post-7885-0-01716200-1355730089.jpg

vostoktrading

Embroidered insignia in 1941. For the patch/uniform people; interesting information. So many of these people in 1941 in the Philippines have embroidered insignia in place of metal in this theater/time period I thought it was worthy to note it. Even Louis Brereton, the commander of the USAAF in the Philippines at the time of the Japanese attack, has embroidered insignia in this 1941 pre-war dated photo.

post-7885-0-69952900-1355731200_thumb.jpg

vostoktrading

Finally, I wanted to show this air traffic controller from the AAF who seems to have a white tape like name tag on his uniform while performing his duty at Clark Field in November 1941. I didn't know they were used so early!

post-7885-0-89282500-1355731442_thumb.jpg

A remarkable selection of images Jon! It isn't often we get to see "Peashooters" in service like that. The uniform details are superb too. Thanks for posting them!

"MELEKALIKIMAKA!"

Ian ;)

What is a DODO? Must be an aviation recruit/pilot trainee? Here we have Filipinos in training wearing an armband, embroidered insignia and a patch that looks similar to the US cadet training patch. What does DODO stand for/mean? They even have a poem nailed to the wall.

The Dodo is an extinct flightless bird native to a region of the Indian Ocean. Ugly bugger!

post-545-0-56192200-1355735263.jpg

vostoktrading

The Dodo is an extinct flightless bird native to a region of the Indian Ocean. Ugly bugger!

post-545-0-56192200-1355735263.jpg

Hmm. Could be! I was thinking acronym but the simple answer is sometimes right...

Jon.

vostoktrading

A remarkable selection of images Jon! It isn't often we get to see "Peashooters" in service like that. The uniform details are superb too. Thanks for posting them!

"MELEKALIKIMAKA!"

Ian ;)

Thanks Ian, I found them to be a series of very interesting photos for several reasons. And P-26's too!

Mostly for me, it is informative to see photos of our Filipino allies at the state of their military readiness (in the quality and morale of their manpower) far surpassing what I imagined it to be at that time. Pictures do indeed say a thousand words!

Jon.

"Nadolig Llawen a Blwyddyn Newydd Dda!"

Thanks Ian, I found them to be a series of very interesting photos for several reasons. And P-26's too!

Mostly for me, it is informative to see photos of our Filipino allies at the state of their military readiness (in the quality and morale of their manpower) far surpassing what I imagined it to be at that time. Pictures do indeed say a thousand words!

Jon.

"Nadolig Llawen a Blwyddyn Newydd Dda!"

Diolch yn fawr Jon! / Thank you very much Jon!

This is rather poignant considering what was going to happen to these men very soon after these photos were taken... one wonders how many of them made it through the fighting.

I like the makeshift control center with the gentleman sitting on top of a desk to get the overview. Not quite up to British Battle of Britain sophistication.

I like the makeshift control center with the gentleman sitting on top of a desk to get the overview. Not quite up to British Battle of Britain sophistication.

Quite so. :blink:

Brings a new meaning to "keep your feet off your desk". ;)

The pics are PAAC (Philippine Army Air Corps), not Philippine Air Force (PAF) as the PAF was formed after WW2. Pre-WW2 and during it was the PAAC.

My father-in-law was a PAF general. He was a cadet at the Philippine Military Academy (PMA, the Philippine equivalent of West Point) when war broke out. The cadets were all sent home (some did fight the Japanese, in different capacities). I never asked my father-in-law what he did during the war as he never talked about it. However, most of his ribbons and medals are US.

He became one of the first officers in the then new Philippine Air Force. I inherited most of his insignia and military stuff. The pilot's wings (pilot, senior pilot, command pilot) are interesting as they have the Philippine seal in the middle but are US made, by Meyer, New York. Apparently, the PAF still had their various insignia made by Meyer. I have some of his old bullion wings as well.

The pics are PAAC (Philippine Army Air Corps), not Philippine Air Force (PAF) as the PAF was formed after WW2. Pre-WW2 and during it was the PAAC.

My father-in-law was a PAF general. He was a cadet at the Philippine Military Academy (PMA, the Philippine equivalent of West Point) when war broke out. The cadets were all sent home (some did fight the Japanese, in different capacities). I never asked my father-in-law what he did during the war as he never talked about it. However, most of his ribbons and medals are US.

He became one of the first officers in the then new Philippine Air Force. I inherited most of his insignia and military stuff. The pilot's wings (pilot, senior pilot, command pilot) are interesting as they have the Philippine seal in the middle but are US made, by Meyer, New York. Apparently, the PAF still had their various insignia made by Meyer. I have some of his old bullion wings as well.

Does this qualify for the Forum ?

He was awarded US medals .

Can you post some pictures of it ?

If you do post do it in the Groupings section.

President Dwight D. Eisenhower learned to fly in a PAAC plane. He took "unscheduled" flying lessons under then PAAC chief Lt. William Lee. I have a pic of Eisenhower in a old book posing with other PAAC pilots in front of a BT-1 at Zablan Field in the Philippines in early 1940.

vostoktrading

Is that Villamor in posts 6 and 7?

First of all, my apologies for the late reply.

Yes indeed these are photos of the Filipino Ace Jesus Antonio Villamor.

Born November 7, 1914 and died on October 28, 1971.

That is him in posts 6 & 7 as well as 2 & 5.

post-7885-0-27029400-1356758166.jpg

vostoktrading

Darktide, Thank you for this informative post. Would it be possible for you to post what information you know about insignia and collectibles concerning the Philippine forces before and after WW2? It seems there is a serious lack of understanding of what is pre-War and post-War when it comes to Philippine insignia. I feel bad because I have Filipino collectibles but don't have reliable references about their origin. I'm sure the Forum staff would welcome this information as bonifide US stuff as it concerns US involvement in WW2 in the Pacific because of reasons already stated.

Thanks, Jon.