S&W .38 Spl USNCPC Marked

229FIST

Hi Guys,

I have had this pistol for quite a few years ago and never figured out just what USNCPC is. It is in good condition and has a holster that seems to match but seems a little too modern for the pistol. Any idea just what this is.

Thanks Dave White

Our moderator is the expert on all things Victory Model related but he seems to be off-line these days so....

Charlie Pate describes these in his excellent book on the Secondary Handguns of WWII. The US Navy Civilian Police Corps (USNCPC) was authorized but apparently never got off the ground. These revolvers aren't common but are pretty well known to those who collect military S&W revolvers. Would you mind sharing the serial number (PM if you like) so it can be added to the knowledge base?

Regards,

Kevin Williams

Charlie Flick

229Fist:

Kwill has given you the gist of the history on these interesting martial revolvers. If you will PM me with your complete serial number I can give you a very good estimate as to when and where it shipped from the S&W factory when new. Some of these USNCPC guns ended up getting shipped to the UK during the war and will bear post-war British commercial proof markings.

I can't see much detail in your photo but can say that the stocks have been replaced. The original stocks would have been checkered walnut service stocks with the S&W medallions.

Sarge, I don't have a pic handy for you of the USNCPC markings. They were factory roll marked on the back strap using serifed letters.

Hope that helps you.

Regards,

Charlie

• 2 weeks later...