M16A1 shipping box from 1976

MattS

A local law enforcement agency took delivery of some surplus M16A1s and I got to photograph one of the 1976 dated boxes. It looks like they are shipped in halves in a box with 2 compartments as the box measures about 30"x12"x4". It astounds me that the government probably has warehouses of unissued 1970s M16A1s.

post-32676-0-05874200-1355171413.jpg

post-32676-0-71336000-1355171429_thumb.jpg

Maybe if you ask nice they would give you a empty box! I remember in the early 80's my unit in italy getting new M16A1's I assume because ours had seen a lot of rough use and they came in a box just like this ,I remember a handfull of us pulling them out of the boxes and checking serial numbers and putting them in the arms room racks. thanks for bringing back the memory!

You're welcome Renegade! Another department took delivery (from the rumors I've heard) of several brand-new-in-the-box M-16s that had solid buttstocks and no forward assists! I am yet to see one, but it makes you wonder what else the government has stashed away!

I just talked to one of the officers and he confirmed they were VERY early M-16s. His is a 6-digit SN in the 300,000 range making it about 1965 production I believe.

Before my unit deployed to Iraq in 2007, we received brand new M240 machine guns. They came in plain brown boxes similar to the one posted. I was amazed that machine guns would come packaged like that. It just seemed to simple and easy.

• 2 weeks later...

Very interesting, thanks for posting the box. By the way, I find it amusing that there looks like a shoe print in the second photo. No respect.

Speaking of packaging, before we deployed for OIF in '03, we received new Mossberg 500s (not 590s) in brown boxes with civilian labels on the end. I thought the armor had gone down to Walmart and bought them but that is how they must have been packed for the contract. The armorer swore they came through supply like that.

I think I have a box from our M4s when we received them in '98. I'll look for it and post photos if I find it. I seem to remember they were also broke down in two sections for packing.

This BAR located in the 2006 time frame... NIB complete with BII.... same typical brown box... there were 2 of them. One was rare in that it had an unusual finish.. copper color...

post-2641-0-81337600-1357405513_thumb.jpg