• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Tom Lane

Tom Lane
  • Members
    • Member ID: 126
  • 1,434 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 09:28 AM

These medals are a little bit off my beaten track on my collecting interest, but I thought they were neat, and they traced out well. What you're looking at are medals given to a Gold Star mother who participated in the WWI Gold Star Mothers' Pilgrimage to Europe in 1930. Authorized by Congress and paid for by government funds, the pilgrimage allowed Gold Star moms and widows to travel to Europe to visit the graves of their loved ones. These tours took place between 1930 and 1933.

First up is the the neck medal given to the mothers by the United States Lines, the shipping compamy which brought the Gold Star moms to Europe. It was designed and manufactured by Tiffany & Co.:

wagner_gsm01.jpg

wagner_gsm02.jpg

wagner_gsm03.jpg

wagner_gsm07.jpg

#2 Tom Lane

Tom Lane
  • Members
    • Member ID: 126
  • 1,434 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 09:33 AM

Secondly is the Gold Star Mothers medal, given to all those travelling on the pilgrimage. A roster of all the pilgrimage participants is available on line, and this one traced out well. It was given to a Mrs. Minnie Wagner of Peoria, IL, mother of Pvt. Charles F. Wagner, Co. G, 7th Infantry, 3rd Division, who was KIA 10/11/18.

wagner_gsm04.jpg

wagner_gsm05.jpg

wagner_gsm06.jpg

Edited by Tom Lane, 24 February 2008 - 09:36 AM.

#3 MWalsh

MWalsh
  • Members
    • Member ID: 440
  • 5,713 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 02:58 PM

If one is going to get "off track" buying for a medals collection, this is a great set to do it with! I think these are way underappreciated personally, and actually tough to come by with both medals!

Nice!!

MW

Secondly is the Gold Star Mothers medal, given to all those travelling on the pilgrimage. A roster of all the pilgrimage participants is available on line, and this one traced out well. It was given to a Mrs. Minnie Wagner of Peoria, IL, mother of Pvt. Charles F. Wagner, Co. G, 7th Infantry, 3rd Division, who was KIA 10/11/18.
wagner_gsm04.jpg

wagner_gsm05.jpg

wagner_gsm06.jpg

#4 3mxd

3mxd
  • Members
    • Member ID: 920
  • 263 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 05:21 AM

What's the serial number on the US Lines medal? Also, can you provide the URL for the on-line roster of pilgrims you mentioned earlier? Thanks.

#5 Mark M

Mark M
  • Members
    • Member ID: 569
  • 2,471 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 03:24 PM

Forum members:

You are in the MEDALS & DECORATIONS "Reference Section". This area is where posts from the general Medals & Decorations "discussion section" (http://www.usmilitar.....?showforum=83) are moved for permanent retention and education about the history of the various U.S. medals and military decorations.

As time moves forward, some of these posts may have additional information added to them by the moderators of this section. We ask for your input as well, especially in the correction of any erroneous information that may have inadvertently be posted..

We encourage further comments about this post and its content. In order to do so, you will need to start a new post in the general Medals & Decorations "discussion section" (here: http://www.usmilitar.....?showforum=83). And, as needed, we will be pleased to move any new and / or valued information that is derived from your post (and subsequent comments) into this reference area as its own standing post.

Please be advised: posting and / or editing is restricted on this post to moderator's and forum staff.

Sincerely,
Chris / ADMIN

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users