Tiger Stripes Part II

Bob Hudson

To be the 1st member who post pics in the 2nd part :D of this huge topic , here is my latest found from Ebay, here is a Thai or Japanese made Silver pattern

Enjoy :D

post-1523-1247852351.jpg

Forum support ,

Well The Tigerstripe thread reached the century !!!

Due to the forum being a resounding sucess bringing collectors from the 4 corners of the planet together to talk about camouflage of the Vietnam war in an educated manner is awsome .

The knowledge in these pages is better than any book I own in my library .

Everyday it keeps getting better .

From the latest USMC advisor photos to the new FANK pages where are you going to find this kind of honest offerings ?

The world of tigerstripe is indeed a complex world full of turns , varients , and just plain fun .

Plenty to keep a guy busy for many years , so lets help both the novice and the advanced collector in any way we can .

Lets keep up the good work and strive towards page 200!!!!!!

owen

kammoman

Forum support ,

Well The Tigerstripe thread reached the century !!!

Due to the forum being a resounding sucess bringing collectors from the 4 corners of the planet together to talk about camouflage of the Vietnam war in an educated manner is awsome .

The knowledge in these pages is better than any book I own in my library .

Everyday it keeps getting better .

From the latest USMC advisor photos to the new FANK pages where are you going to find this kind of honest offerings ?

The world of tigerstripe is indeed a complex world full of turns , varients , and just plain fun .

Plenty to keep a guy busy for many years , so lets help both the novice and the advanced collector in any way we can .

Lets keep up the good work and strive towards page 200!!!!!!

owen

kammoman

I don't think any other forum topic has generated so many pages. As some point we should copy a "best of" selection of tigerstripe posts into a handy reference thread on how to ID the real thing and then lock that down.

Mercenary25

I'm wondering about tiger stripe experts. Do you guys use repro tiger stripes for display because most of originals are too small for mannequin, right?

And what is purpose to collect repro? For comparison to original ones?

The reason I'm asking, because I plan to make display of SF in tiger stripe and am exploring for possibilities.

Thanks!

M25

Repos are great for wearing today without the guilt of damaging real items .

You can find Tigers to fit manniquins easy enough .

It all depends if you want to show a cut that only comes in a tiny size .

But most patterns come in larger sizes .

Also there are European manniquins that are made for collectors that have smaller chest sizes , like 36s .

owen

Going back to the Clash pants for a second .

This shows the link we talked about in part 1 being shown in a respected Military Museum of uniforms being worn by Punk rockers in the 1970s-1980s .

The info wording is slightly of ....

But that can be forgiven .

As Gold tigers stem from a 1950s French Design modified many times , manufactured in Japan for the Vietnamese!!

Talk about a long twisted journey !!!

But this is what makes this pattern so loved by many .

thanks Spike for showing us this .

owen

The Clash or the pants? :)

Both. Oddly enough, I think that between the Clash waring tigers and the movie "Apocalypse Now", that's how the bug bit me. On top of the fact that tiger stripes are one of the most amazing camo prints that have been made. And the fact that they were made without a standard that allows for so many veritys and variations.

Today in Thailand Sir .

owen

Sir,

THANKS, any idea on low long these have been made in this style and pattern? Any way to date using the tags? My buddy said he got these at a Great Western show in the late 80's, or early 90's.

The Thais began producing TS cloth in the late 1960s .

Your set is a direct desandant of these patterns .

As regards the tags , they are copies of the US style .

To pin point a date on them is tough , but from the style they look modern in both format and style .

owen

Just grabed few pics on the Net, it s a early war TS in the plastic bag, I think it s worth to be here :D . Interesting writting on the the bag, probably a contract from a Japanese maker, could someone explain what it means ?

post-1523-1249512240.jpg

Cop

I will tell you what it means.........................

This is the earliest pair of Tigers I have ever seen in the BAG

Fantastic !!!!

owen

vintageproductions

This is a odd one. Over the years I have handled a lot of tiger stripes, Leopard / Beo Gam and one windproof set in the original plastic bags. In all that I have handled I have never seen a bag that has printing on it. Plus, the way the printing is done, it looks like the way a ERDL tag is printed.

Does look it could be a early Japanese made copy. Like Owen said, there was a company called Tokyo Phantom that made a lot of really accurate items. They have been out of business for about ten years now, I think. Also, FEC ( Far East Command) is one of the Army names for Japan.

This one is moderne repro from TS product

TS Products, someone changed the buttons, I did the same on mine.

The funny thing is I just bought a pair of pants with jungle/bdu buttons.

I will post pics in a bit.

T

vintageproductions

mashts.JPG

MASH just released their new silver pattern tiger stripe flight bag. We just got our samples in and they are great.

mashts.JPG