OSS Stinger....

Tom Kibler

OK. I've been trying to research this thing and found some information on this site. A gentleman near me told me his uncle was in the OSS during WWII. He brought home one of these:

(Photo borrowed from net-based photos)

post-6293-0-12458500-1354054059.jpg

He doesn't want it, but I'm not enclined to buy it if it's not legal for me to own. Another friend of mine found this on the web:

Under federal law, pen guns, with the exemption of the Stinger pen gun, are NFA-regulated firearms, classified “as any other weapon” (26 USC 5845(e)). This means that they are severely restricted weapons, but not illegal. Among other things, a nonlicensee (a person not federally licensed to transact gun business) must undergo an extensive background check, register the gun with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (ATF), and pay ATF a $5 stamp tax. (Other weapons subject to the same NFA restrictions include functional machine guns; short-barreled rifle or shotguns; smooth-bore pistols; and destructive devices (e.g., certain shotguns, grenade launchers, hand grenades, bazookas, and mortars). When a person is buying a pen gun, he must complete both state and federal documentation, including an application for a tax stamp. According to a DPS official, the seller cannot transfer the pen gun until ATF approves the tax stamp application.

According to ATF, the Stinger pen gun, because of the way it functions, is not an NFA-regulated gun. Thus, the less stringent federal laws that apply to standard handguns apply to the Stinger pen gun. For example, a nonlicensee does not have to register this type of gun or pay a $5 stamp tax.

Under federal law, a person who possesses an NFA firearm that is not registered to him is subject to a fine of up to $250,000, imprisonment for up to 10 years, or both (26 USC §§ 5861 and 5872). [/i][/i] [/i]

(Photo borrowed from the net)

post-6293-0-00032900-1354054183_thumb.jpg

So - the one this gentleman owns is unfired. (So he says).

I spoke with an associate in the BATF. He pointed me towards the NFA and was quick to say he was unsure without some research.

Any help would be appreciated.

TK

Have a gunsmith check it out and have it discharged and then BATF'd so it can be transferred/sold. Once BATFd it is legal to move around and will still have a great value to it.

I had to walk away from a Schmeiser because it was bring home item and never registered. I called the local ATF and pleaded my case and they just said walk away from it. Of course I walked away from it... no collectible worth time in prison.

• 2 weeks later...

Tom and List,

The problem may be that it's not registered 'now'. I can't answer if it is able to be made legal as it is not papered now. I would not be the one to call BATF and say, "I have this piece and want to do the Form X to make it legal.