M3 Fighting Knife

skautdog

I know there were several M3 Fighting Knife manufacturers. That list is easy to obtain from various sources.

Does anyone know of a reference which documents which manufacturers' knives were carried by the 101st and 82nd Airborne on D Day. I contacted the US Army Infantry Museum at FT Benning, GA, but they were only able to provide me a list of the M3 Knife manufacturers.

Any information would be appreciated.

I would expect that as the knives were produced they were boxed and sent to quarter master units, and receiving units on a "as needed" basis. Probably no records of what manufacturer went where. SKIP

Both mentioned divisions currently have their own museums (Each with very small staffs). There’s the remote possibility that in the Musuems’ records the elusive M3 issue (By manufacturer) document exists buried in their repositories. You may try getting in contact with either museums’ staff in order to ask if they have any info/documentation. On the other hand if they would confirm a knife they have in their collections’ was one with D-Day provenance you have about as good of a definitive answer as I suspect you will receive.

That said, I’d have to agree with SKIPH. More likely than not, all issue documentation would have referred to stock numbers and nomenclature of the item(s) issued and not included the manufactures’ trade name.

Of course the stock number may have been different for each manufacture, but now I’m outta my league when it comes to WW2 NSNs’ variances and such.

Regards,

Lance

I will agree with Skip and Lance.

I have never heard of the divisions recieving any certain manufactured/maker marked knife.Granted the First Special Service Force,Marine Raiders etc had unit specific issue knives but the M3 to me was a item filled by a contract system.Much like canteens or mess kits,webb gear,boots,clothing etc.Contracts being filled by a manufacturer and then delivered for issue at specific points or times.Overlaps in in the delivery times or issue times,contract fulfilment times etc, can account for different items being issued at different times.One example is the manufacture of barrels for the M1 garand.As the barrels were manufactured it wasnt uncommon for the people assembling them to take the first one off the pile.As the pile went down a barrel with an older date may have been used.The pile then would be restocked and it continued on.From what I have been told and read,this accounts for a 1-3 month gap in a barrel date compared to a serial number on the recievers manufacture date.Also look at how many 1945 dated canteens and items were issued out for Korea.Items that were in stock were issued as needed regardless of date or manufacturer

We were getting WW2 dated canteen cups, mess kits, and flat ware in the 1970s. If it wasn't broken why not keep using it. The army did. SKIP

The Marines did the same thing, and ditto to the canteen, cups, etc. On a more unappetizing note, I remember eating 1946 C-Rats in mid-1965.

Thanks all for the input. Interesting how we collectors want information for which when we were in the service paid absolutely no attention. I couldn't tell you one manufacturer of any equipment I had on active duty or USAR except for the Colt M 16 and M1911A1. Bayonet ?? Ruck??? Pistol Belt??? helmet??? etc.......