In memory of old friend KIA in Iraq 10-18-07

Manchu Warrior

Manchu Warrior

I spent 8-1/2 years in the US Army infantry and in my time I met a lot of soldiers. Some of them I don't remember and there are some that I don't care to remember. Then There are some that I think about and start laughing. There are also some who made a major impression in my life and I think about them quite often. Yesterday I got to thinking about one of them. His name is Jarred Fontenot from Lafayette, Louisiana. I was stationed with Jarred at Camp Casey, Korea back in 1996-97. Jarrod was the gunner on my track, Charlie 33, and we spent a good bit of time in the field getting to know each other. His wife also came to Korea which was unusual because we were up North close to the DMZ and therefore it was supposed to an unaccompanied tour. The fact that his wife was there made my time in Korea a lot more bearable because it was a place to get off post and eat home cook meals and that means a lot to any soldier who has spent any amount of time eating in a infantry chow hall. Even though I had not seen Jarred in more then a decade I often thought of him and decided I was going to look him up. When I googled his name I was horrified to see a soldier with the same name listed as a KIA in Iraq. I thought to myself that there is no way its him, after all Fontenot is a common name down in French Cajun country so the odds are it is not him. I continued to look until I found a photo of him and was saddened to realize that it was in fact him. Staff Sgt. Jarred S. Fontenot was was killed when an IED exploded near his vehicle and the insurgents opened up with small arms in Baghdad on October 18, 2007. I wanted to post this in the memory of him because Jarred really was a great human being and an even better soldier. I hold him and his four kids and the rest of his family in my prayers. Rest in peace buddy. Charlie 33 Delta Out

post-1412-1203720787.jpg

This is me, with M16, with Jarred sitting on Charlie 33 somewhere near the DMZ in the "ROK"

Manchu Warrior

post-1412-1203720818.jpg

This is me and Jarred with Larry Linville who played Maj. Frank "Ferret Face" Burns on the tv show MASH.

post-1412-1203720928.jpg

This is me and Jarred with the guy who created the TV show MASH, I don't recall his name. These two along with Maj. Winchester were invited by the 8th Army to Korea when the last MASH unit was deactivated during the spring of 1997. These photos were taken on the MPRC range when the cast of MASH came out to spend the day with the Charlie Co. 2/9th Infantry "Manchus", so they could eat MREs and ride around and check out our Bradley's.

That is truly tragic. I'm sorry for your loss and my heart goes out to his wife and family. RIP SSGT Fontenot.

I know how you feel, as I lost a friend on Feb 16, 2007 in Iraq (Capt. Todd Siebert, USMC). It is still hard to talk about it despite being over a year ago now.

My sympathies to you and the family of this brave soldier.

teufelhunde.ret

Manchu, some day you need to let his kids know what a proud father and warrior he was, and how much he met to you as well. It will mean allot to these kids. Rest in peace SSGT Fontenot. Godspeed...

• 7 months later...
Manchu Warrior

It is after midnight and today is the first anniversary of Jarred's death. In all honesty since I learned of his death a day has not passed that Jarred has not found his way into my thoughts. The photo at the beginning of this thread, along with a couple of others of friends that were severely wounded in Iraq, are at the end of my bed. And it might sound corny but when I get up in the morning one of the first things I do is to salute the photos, I figure it is the least I can do to pay my respects. The link is to memorial site that is set up for Jarred and the others who have made the ultimate sacrifice. And if it is not to much to ask maybe a few of you could leave a message to his family and let them know his sacrifices, as well as the others, are not forgotten. The photo of Jarred and his children is from the site. Thanks.

http://www.legacy.com/theadvocate/GB/Guest...rsonID=96499030

post-1412-1224308699.jpg

• 3 years later...
dogfacedsoldier

Sorry for the loss of your friend, he sounded like an outstanding soldier and individual. I know you pain, I lost my best friend only two months ago. He is always on my mind, and feel it very intensely at times. I do know he is with me. I would have gone to the pit of hell and back for him. As he would for me, we had each other's back. He now lives only in my dreams, forever the way I remember him. I'll join him one day, but until then he will always be a part of me and now I have to live for him, and try to live up to his standards.

Jon

• 7 months later...
Manchu Warrior
Went by his grave site 2 week ago all was in order.

Thanks! :thumbsup:

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
Manchu Warrior

It has been six years I still think of him quite often and this is just a bump in an attempt to keep his memory alive in some small way.

SSG Fontenot, God Bless You and Your family! We Thank You for Protecting Our Freedoms and Trying to Give the Same Freedoms To Others. The Enemy Can Kill The Body But Never The Soul That Seeks Liberty.

Strength and Honor

De Oppresso Liber

John