Interesting Soldiers Manual

t_player

Found this manual in a box of documents and maps belonging to Lt.Col. Clair W. Shisler. Evidentley this manual was given to members of the Kiska task force.

post-69-0-03592300-1353673453_thumb.jpg

post-69-0-99436700-1353673516_thumb.jpg

post-69-0-56894300-1353673548_thumb.jpg

post-69-0-32726900-1353673569_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

The lyricist was Air Force Colonel William O, Eareckson, who, prior to the Kiska assault, actually went ashore during the battle on Attu Island in the company of General Simon Bolivar Buckner and was slightly wounded while venturing a bit too near the front for someone in his position. Regarding the song, many members of ATF9 called themselves "Corlett's Cutthroats," or "Corlett's Long Knives." Although the 1st SSF had their own V42 daggers, the other infantrymen in the assault force had no issue blade beyond their bayonets, and a newspaper account written from Adak Island before the operation noted that "all" the infantrymen had each found "widowmakers," or "hunting knives" prior to the assault. My father was a rifle platoon leader during Operation COTTAGE, and I love to find any material related to it. I presume Colonel Shisler was one of the Marines in General H. M. Smith's training contingent who accompanied the doughboys to Kiska. Thanks for posting this.

• 5 years later...

post-177812-0-43900200-1519665367.jpg

To further validate the assumption this manual was issued to Kiska Task Force members I have found a copy in excellent condition among many WWII era publications from the estate of Col. Robert Siemon Moore. Col. Moore as many of you may know was a battalion and regimental commander in the First Special Service Force from its inception until it was disbanded in 1945. Col. Moore took part in the Kiska operation as well as commanding the 2nd Regiment of the FSSF at La Difensa, for which he was awarded the Silver Star.