What went in this Signal Corps chest?

serialins0mniac

serialins0mniac

Ipurchased this Signal Corps chest a few weeks ago at an estate sale and am wondering if someone on this site could tell me what used to be kept inside? Metal corners and handle, It is marked on the top as follows:
Chest-CH-72-B
Order no. 1989-Chi-42
Made by Galvin Mfg. Corp
I have included some pictures. Inside is in really nice shape, while outside shows some wear. Can anyone tell me what this was made for and what all the compartments are for? I am wondering the age as well. I see it is marked "Chi" Im thinking that means Chicago and "42" possibly 1942? I am new to this site and any info would be a big help. Thanks all.
Nicole

serialins0mniac

Is this a rare box? I cant seen to find mention of this model online. I see some talk in forums about the Ch-72-A but not the "B". What is the difference between the A and the B?

Is this a rare box? I cant seen to find mention of this model online. I see some talk in forums about the Ch-72-A but not the "B". What is the difference between the A and the B?

Signal Corps chests don't seem to show up too often, but they also don't seem to have enough demand for their scarcity to translate into value. Without the radio set, I don't seem them as having big collector interest and, inlike plain old military footlockers," they often have internal dividers that may them not very usable for general storage.

I found two worthpoint.com listings for ebay sales of these in the last few years: one went for $16.50 and the other for about $60.