WW2 EMs' overseas caps with BOS braid.

Sabrejet

This one intrigues me somewhat. Ostensibly, it's AAF colours. However...the blue is rather paler than usual. This could possibly be due to fading as these khaki caps required periodic laundering. The only other colour combination which comes close is the silver grey / golden orange of the Finance Corps. Any comments?

post-8022-0-42083200-1353516271_thumb.jpg

post-8022-0-64026900-1353516282.jpg

This one intrigues me somewhat. Ostensibly, it's AAF colours. However...the blue is rather paler than usual. This could possibly be due to fading as these khaki caps required periodic laundering. The only other colour combination which comes close is the silver grey / golden orange of the Finance Corps. Any comments?

It most likey is AC piping, it just seems to blue really to be a Silver Gray. The piping also has a unique twist to it wouldn't you say,

It most likey is AC piping, it just seems to blue really to be a Silver Gray. The piping also has a unique twist to it wouldn't you say,

Hi Kev. Yes indeed...more blue than grey, but a lighter shade than the usual bright "aquamarine"....and as you rightly say, an unusual style of "candy twist" braid.

I just came across this example on ebay. Apart from the eye-watering price, I was surprised to see a WW2 style khaki garrison cap with a '69 date!? :o

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1969-Vietnam-War-US-Army-Airborne-Command-Garrison-Cap-w-German-Made-Enamel-Pin-/280719113781?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item415c29be35

post-8022-0-60853200-1353576665.jpg

post-8022-0-23546600-1353576673.jpg

My only guess it was made for the Navy/Coast Guard of the period, Marines too maybe, though Marines had Grommets, did Navy ones have them too? maybe this does have a grommet and it's just covered from sight by the crest, note that the Navy still wore these types for Officers, the gusset may be a kind of peculiarity with this copy made by Metz.

My only guess it was made for the Navy/Coast Guard of the period, Marines too maybe, though Marines had Grommets, did Navy ones have them too? maybe this does have a grommet and it's just covered from sight by the crest, note that the Navy still wore these types for Officers, the gusset may be a kind of peculiarity with this copy made by Metz.

I considered that too Kev. The thing is, USN caps have a distinctive curve on the upper edge of their "curtains". Army caps tend to be straight.