Russells Knives

duarte1223

I got this knife after my great-uncle passed, the story is he took it with him when he joined the Navy, but I'm not sure if Russells was around then, any ideas?

Adam

post-101-1168649923.jpg

I got this knife after my great-uncle passed, the story is he took it with him when he joined the Navy, but I'm not sure if Russells was around then, any ideas?

Adam

WAY outside of my expertise, but I will add a quote from a website:

"John Russell may have been the first American to manufacture Barlow knives. The John Russell Company, now the Russell Harrington Cutlery Company of Southbridge, Massachusetts, first made Barlow knives at their Greenfield Massachusetts, factory in 1785. They were called the Russell Barlow knife and instead of the word BARLOW on the bolster, they were stamped with Russell's mark, an R with an arrow through it."

(From http://www.barlow-knives.com/history.htm)

So unless your Great Uncle served in the Revolutionary War, I guess it is possible that he carried a Russell Barlow knife.

WAY outside of my expertise, but I will add a quote from a website:

"John Russell may have been the first American to manufacture Barlow knives. The John Russell Company, now the Russell Harrington Cutlery Company of Southbridge, Massachusetts, first made Barlow knives at their Greenfield Massachusetts, factory in 1785. They were called the Russell Barlow knife and instead of the word BARLOW on the bolster, they were stamped with Russell's mark, an R with an arrow through it."

(From http://www.barlow-knives.com/history.htm)

So unless your Great Uncle served in the Revolutionary War, I guess it is possible that he carried a Russell Barlow knife.

Thank you for your speedy response! I guess my great-aunt isn't going crazy after all (even though I love her to death, she can be an oddball). :D

Adam