Embroidered glider pilot wings

Gregory

Hello,

Last months for the fourth time I can see at eBay identical embroidered Glider Pilot Wings. I even know one of them personally. They are not the same because earlier they were sold but they are identical and come from the same embroiding machine that manufactures these wings with the same cyclic and characteristic details. Every time the wings are very clean, look like brand-new ones. These wings are offered by various sellers. One of them stated that the wings come from the box of GP wings found somewhere. What to think about it?

Below is the link to auction with these GP wings. Identical wings are at me when I write it and they has been bought 2-3 months ago at eBay auction.

http://cgi.ebay.com/U-S-ARMY-AIR-FORCE-GLI...emZ170194228441

Thanks for your possible opinions

Greg

They made these on rolls, they are very common, and made by various makers, and from various times, I think that other that the CBI made ones, they are all late to post war ( might be wrong here) . There was a recent auction that was selling an actual roll of the bombardier wings, must have been at least 50 on the roll. What is rare is to find them actually sewn to something!

These type of embroidered wings are very common. They are more than likely from the WWII era, but they dont seem to have been all that popular with the pilots. It is very rare to find a pair of embroidered wings actually on a uniform.

I think beause of this, tons of these patches exists. I suspect that most were from old unsold stock that has been sitting around since the 1940's.

Collectors dont really seem to care that much for them, so they just sort of float around. I doubt that anyone is bothering to fake them.

Patrick

--Paul and I posted at the same time...but the idea is the same---

These are original and as Patrick stated, are extremely common. Years ago, I ran into Duncan Campbell (one of the original old time wing collectors, noted author, and nicest guy you'd ever want to meet) who was set up at a show. I can't recall the details, but I believe he was the original source of these type wings (all the different ratings), as he uncovered a huge hoard of them many years earlier. The "few hundred" he had left he was selling off at 3 for a dollar. I bought a bag and socked them away. This was probably 20 years ago and they still haven't risen in value to the point I can quit my job and retire.

Any time I see one of these actually sewn to a uniform, I'm extremely skeptical.

Kurt

Is this the front and back of that badge? :blink:

Hello,

Yes, all embroidered GP wings I have ever bought have a mesh back made of textile mesh approx. .5x.5mm.

Regards

Greg

Paul, Patrick and Kurt,

Thank you very much for your comments. You are the messengers of good news that I have never bought a fake of the GP wings in their embroidered variant.

Best regards :)

Greg

You will also find these wings embroidered on on tan summer weight cotton.I have a few.All the types of wings were done this way on gree or tan.I do have a set of glider Pilot hand embroidered on a piece of leather.

RON

Hello Ron,

You will also find these wings embroidered on on tan summer weight cotton.

Yes, you are right. I am an owner of this variant with empty "G shield" as can be seen below. Very nice variant I prefer than embroidered shield where "G" is not so clearly visible.

I do have a set of glider Pilot hand embroidered on a piece of leather.

I did not know so far leather variation. Congratulations.

Best regards

Greg

post-75-1203619858.jpg

I think the CBI made versions are the best, I will try to dig out some photos of some I have owned that are on shirts, along with one I am writing an ASMIC article on if anyone is interested.

... if anyone is interested.

Of course!! At least me... thumbsup.gif

I love this subject. I had an opportunity to be at the controls of obsolete wooden gliders with their 17 glide ratio so I admire and understand WWII era glider pilots and the sentence "No second chance".

:)

• 2 weeks later...
What is rare is to find them actually sewn to something!

I agree, none the less sometimes those wings existed on various shirts and jackets. Here is a picture with glider pilots before Operation "Market Garden". I would say that two of them have embroidered GP Wings -- first from left and second from right.

post-75-1204801638.jpg