Star of Service/Blue Star Flags

hhbooker2

"GREETINGS & SALUTATIONS!" Starting before 1917, probably in 1898, on the Home Front a family would often buy a Star of Service Flag to display in the front window of their home or place of business, here are three made for specific branches of the military. think.gif Sarge Booker of Tujunga, California ( [email protected] )

post-837-1203471793.jpg

post-837-1203471802.jpg

post-837-1203471810.jpg

Here are some I'll bet even Sarge Booker doesn't have: A 27 July, 1918 Leslie's Magazine cover showing some unusual variants of the "In Service Flag"

post-594-1203473784.jpg

Chris

These are all very cool. The only one I have is hanging in my window right now for my son, Army Medical Spec. Rick Stevens

These are all very cool. The only one I have is hanging in my window right now for my son, Army Medical Spec. Rick Stevens

You have the most significant one! thumbsup.gif

You have the most significant one! thumbsup.gif

Thanks Guys! I hope I didn't take away from the original point of this thread, because each service flag shown with it's blue star depicts one soul who was or is fighting for their country whether it be my son or someone else's. These flags have been from it's inception, an important part of the homefront morale.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Stinger Gunner USMC

Here is my favorite son in service piece from my collection.

A stained glass piece with three stars for Melvin (160th Armor Recon), Harold (723rd BS-H) and Warren (Alaskian Cmd) Paluska from Modesto, IL. I have Melvin and Harold's uniforms in my collection

post-1672-1207945910.jpg

ItemCo16527

Here's a picture of two examples of the service star flag from World War II. Both were used by my grandfather's parents while he was in the Army. The actual flag is the standard single blue star flag which is one of the most commonly seen types. The wooden one it's hung from is, as far as I know, one of a kind. It was made by my great-grandparents' neighbor and was actually on a stake on their front lawn while my grandfather was serving. Unfortunately, the eagle's wings and the soldier's bayonet broke off sometime between the war and when my grandfather gave it to me in the early 90's.

efuph.jpg

• 8 months later...

;) Greetings & Salutations!" Here is a page I wrote and illustrated some years ago, maybe the information might be useful here? ;) Sarge Booker of Tujunga, California

Just found this well done article about the official rules for service flags (and lapel pins), but we all know the official rules aren't always followed for this :)

http://www.tacticaltechnologies.com/serviceflag.html

Steph McKinnell

post-837-1231280472.jpg

• 2 years later...

Hello

I dug this up at my Dad's place a while back. I assume this was used at his parents house before he went into the US Navy in June 1943 and two of his brothers were already in the US Army.

Thanks

Mark

DSCN2434.jpg

Hello

I dug this up at my Dad's place a while back. I assume this was used at his parents house before he went into the US Navy in June 1943 and two of his brothers were already in the US Army.

Thanks

Mark

Thanks for posting that: I have not seen one before with the "V". Since it's a new variation (for me at least) I've merged it with a thread that shows several other styles of the so-called Blue Star Flags.

Wish I had this one, but although I have searched for many years, no one seems to know where it went.

WW1, my Great Grandmother with one on the curtain for her son, my Great Uncle Pvt. George Green, Co. B, 13th Regiment, USMC.

PGG20.jpg

I'd forgotten I had this. I was selling at an indoor flea market a month or two ago and one of the other (non-militaria) dealers sold this to me. My guess is that this was a display card for a retail store:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

The silver star is for wounded.

Notice that in those sterling pins i posted they put the blue field on it to outline the silver star.

Notice that in those sterling pins i posted they put the blue field on it to outline the silver star.

Did not notice that until you mentioned it.

Thanks

M