2nd Infantry Division with Ranger patch

Skyligter

Thank you so much! According to his DD-214 he arrived May 11, 1943 the day of the invasion. I also have a Enlisted mans pass dated 3/19/1943. Its signed by the company commander of Battery G 78th Coast Artillery so that shows he was with the 78th. He did end up going to a different unit the 591st AAA Bn, but it wasn't created till the 78th was broken up shortly after the battle for Attu.

Glad I could help, Tomorrow I will look up the 591st AAA and see what they were credited for.

take care

Ryan

Glad I could help, Tomorrow I will look up the 591st AAA and see what they were credited for.

take care

Ryan

Awesome, Thank you again! I know quite a bit about the 591st, I got a packet of info from the archives. It was formed from the 2nd Battalion of the 78th. The unit was created in Alaska on February 8, 1944. They stayed in Alaska till November of 1944, when they were shipped back to the sates, arriving at Camp Hood, Texas on December 19th. The unit was disbanded on January 26th. As far as I know they didn't not participate in any battles. Grandpa served a total of 20 months on Attu. Also here is why Battery F got the Distinguished Unit Citation 591stAAABnPage5.jpg

78 CARg,

I looked for the 591st AAA and they are not listed in the campaign and battle credit book. Probably because as you said the did not participate in any battles or campaigns. Take care Ryan

• 1 year later...

Here's a 2nd Div Skull patch worn by one Pvt Victor Meloni, this photo most likely taken in the States Ft Sam Houston? he was probably in the 9th Infantry as we see no DIs, usually in this garrison setting DIs were worn, like the 23rd Infantry(38th Infantry of the Division had no French Rope for WWI), but at this stage 1942-43, the 9th Infantry had not gotten their DIs for the lapels, and would were the Manchu buckle, which from previous talks here fell out of use after a certain point in the late pre war-early war period. No other info found on Meloni other then he was from Elk County Penna.

post-34986-0-48777800-1399823003.jpg

• 5 months later...

Another Skull cuff patch sighting, seen on one S/Sgt Rice 9th Infantry, 2nd Divsion, seems on taken right after VE Day as Rice is not wearing a Ruptured Duck, he also I might add has aquired/opted for a Chocalate Tie rather than a Khaki Mohair tie, as well as wearing a Khaki Shirt rather than an OD wool one.

post-34986-0-54199300-1413912557.jpg

carbinephalen

Great revive on this thread! Those skull patches are very interesting. Does anybody else have original wwii-era photos of them being worn?

• 4 years later...
Rakkasan187

It appears that there is a 2nd ID uniform for sale now with a similar cuff patch...

Can't comment,, too far out of my wheelhouse...

I deleted this link and reposted....

Leigh

BILL THE PATCH

Hat eBay link doesn't work for me, I think the page was taken down.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Rakkasan187

Bill,

Let me try again...

I have to type the whole link in, can't copy and paste from my work station..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WWII-2nd-DIVISION-COMBAT-MEDIC-T-SGT-IKE-JACKET-W-RANGER-SKULL-CUFF-PATCH/372663462621?hash+item56c4792add:g:ETIAAOSwhUpcy1Mc.

And if that doesn't work, here are a few pictures...

Sorry this is so small but I was able to get this link to work..

Leigh

post-5554-0-93437500-1556903026.jpg

BILL THE PATCH

I thought those were of felt on felt construction?, the cuff patch on uniform is emb on twill. It doesn't look right to me, but it out of my league I've never seen a real one before.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Im almost sure the one above is a copy, not to mention the seller has had quite a few questionable uniforms

The only original I've ever seen didn't look like this, I'd not personally buy this one. But according to my wife I've been wrong on numerous occasions...

The only original I've ever seen didn't look like this, I'd not personally buy this one. But according to my wife I've been wrong on numerous occasions...

I agree with you. It deserves skepticism. Manayunkman and I discussed this patch offline yesterday, and he commented that it looks Pakistan. I'd say he has a valid point. The uniform it’s sewn on is also suspicious from a couple other angles. It’s a medic’s Ike jacket, and medical personnel were not among those who underwent the ranger course. The jacket also displays a ribbon with an ETO ribbon bearing a Bronze Service Arrowhead. There were indeed 150 members of the 2nd Infantry Division who landed on D-Day with the Special Engineer Task Force. I’ve researched about eighty of these soldiers, and none were medics. I wouldn’t hold much hope that any of the others were from the Medical Department.
BTW, here’s a breakdown of the Indianhead soldiers on detached service with the 299th Engineer Combat Battalion on D-Day:
25 – 9th Inf Rgt
15 – 23rd Inf Rgt
43 – 2nd Eng C Bn
The rest of the 150 landed with the 146th Engineer Combat Battalion.

post-105245-0-12230600-1557090736_thumb.jpg

• 4 years later...
On 5/11/2014 at 11:45 AM, patches said:

Here's a 2nd Div Skull patch worn by one Pvt Victor Meloni, this photo most likely taken in the States Ft Sam Houston? he was probably in the 9th Infantry as we see no DIs, usually in this garrison setting DIs were worn, like the 23rd Infantry(38th Infantry of the Division had no French Rope for WWI), but at this stage 1942-43, the 9th Infantry had not gotten their DIs for the lapels, and would were the Manchu buckle, which from previous talks here fell out of use after a certain point in the late pre war-early war period. No other info found on Meloni other then he was from Elk County Penna.

post-34986-0-48777800-1399823003.jpg

Does anyone have a higher resolution version of this photo? It almost looks like he is a member of the 2nd Engineer Battalion... his lapels look like engineer branch discs? 

14 hours ago, Sappuh said:

Does anyone have a higher resolution version of this photo? It almost looks like he is a member of the 2nd Engineer Battalion... his lapels look like engineer branch discs? 

This is the only one that we saved, site where found not online no more , unfortunely no other info of him is found either, and enlarging image gets blurry to see disc.