Screamingeagles101

Screamingeagles101

What your favorite war movie and why.

I have a few, I like

The Longest Day

Band of Brothers

The Pacific

Pearl Harbor.

I can watch them over and over again and find them more interesting than each time.

history-buff1944

Decision Before Dawn w/ Richard Basehart, Gary Merrill, Oskar Werner, Hans-Christian Blech, Hildegard Knef, O.E. Hasse, Wilfrid Seyfarth and a thankfully so short appearence by: Klaus Kinski.

Hell To Eternity w/ Jeffrey hunter, George Shibata, Sessue Hayakawa, John Larch, David Janssen & Vic Damone.

Pork Chop Hill w/ Gregory Peck, George Peppard, Harry Guardino, Rip Torn, bobby blake, & Harry Dean Stanton.

Hell Is For Heroes w/ Steve McQueen, Bobby Darin, Harry Guardino, James Coburn, Fess Parker and Bob Newhart.

Battleground w/ Van Johnson, Richard Jaeckel, Marshall Thompson, James Whitmore Sr, & John Hodiak.

Breakthrough w/ John Agar, David Brian, Frank Lovejoy & Paul Picerni.

The Tanks Are Coming w/ Steve Cochran, Paul Picerni, Phil Carey and the voice of George Jetson himself: George O'Hanlon.

A Force of Arms w/ William Holden and Frank Lovejoy.

The Alamo w/ Duke, Richard Widmark, Richard Boone, Pat Wayne, Denver Pyle, Ken Curtis, and so many others.

Shenandoah w/ James Stewart, Pat Wayne, Harry Carey Jr, James Best, Doug McClure, George Kennedy and so many others.

Sands of Iwo Jima w/ Duke, John Agar, Martin Milner, Richard Jaeckel and many others.

Twelve O'Clock High w/ Gregory Peck, Gary Merrill, Millard Mitchell and others.

Hell and High Water w/ Widmark, Gene Evans, Cameron Mitchell and others.

Back To Bataan w/ Duke, Anthony Quinn and Philip Ahn.

Dunkirk w/ Sir John Mills, Nernard Lee and Lord Richard Attanborough.

The Great Escape w/ McQueen, Garner, Bronson, Messmer, Alberty, Donald, Pleasance, Kiwi, Graf, Coburn, Lenie & Jackson.

Just to name a few.

Oh there are too many to list, but those that I have watched due to my interests would be:

"They were Expendable" Good USN PT boats/Defense of the Philippines 1941-42.

"Run Silent Run Deep" A postwar film, it is set during WWII in the Pacific and aside from some inaccuracies it's pretty decent for a Submarine movie.

"Guadalcanal Diary" Based on the book by Richard Tregaskis.

"Tora! Tora! Tora!" While it's long it's also probably the best Pearl Harbor film out their for historical accuracy, not perfect but pretty good.

"The Great Raid" A fairly recent film depicting the Palawan massacre and the subsequent liberation of the Cabanatuan POW camp in 1945 Philippines.

That's just a few for the Pacific Theater.

I am thinking Apocalypse now... it is set in war but is it really a war movie?

Ok... definite war movie then... BLACK HAWK DOWN

"Super six four we have a black hawk down, we have a black hawk down in the city..." ("oh, sh*t.. you think as you sit on the edge of your seat)

up periscope

das boot

pvt ryan

shidnler's list

Best Years of Our Lives

full metal jacket

and so many more. I have about 100 DVD war movies.

Stalag 17 is a movie that I can watch over and over.

Memphis Belle

Lonely Are the Brave

Stalingrad (Hard movie to watch)

Mr. Robinson's Navy is good for a laugh

along with the one's already listed.

There are so many.

All Quiet on the Western Front

Sands of Iwo Jima because my uncle fought there.

Das Boat

Pork Chop Hill

12 O'Clock High because I'm a SAC troop.

Band Of Brothers

The Pacific

A Bridge Too Far

The Longest Day

Stalag 17

The Great Raid

ANZEC

Breaker Morant

ZULU

They Were Expendable

Best Years of Our Lives. Its about our Moms and Dads

Back To Bataan

30 Seconds Over Tokyo

Tasken_Lander

Saving Private Ryan

The Thin Red Line (1998) -- I know many would argue if this even constitutes as a "war movie" lol but I love it

Tae Guk Gi (The Brotherhood of War) - Korean film that revives 'Ryan' in the human drama and intense action caterigories

What's your favorite war movie

My favorite war movie is the movie am still waiting for. The movie which will show the whole stupidity of war and full scale of human's dehumanization.

The "When Trumpets Fade" is very close to the movie I think about. I would add to this movie various threads from James Bacque's "Other Losses" book.

Maybe more people would think then what the war is... -_-

history-buff1944

I must be the only one that watched "Hart's War" and found it interesting.

Your not alone. I saw it at the theaters and liked it, then saw it played on TV--hated it. Then saw it again on a DvD someone gave to me--and liked it again. Go figure?

The Mortal Storm (1940)

one of the few directly anti-Nazi Hollywood films released before the American entry into World War II in December 1941. The film stars James Stewart as a German who refuses to join the rest of his small Bavarian town in supporting Nazism. He falls in love with Freya Roth ( Margaret Sullavan ), the daughter of a Junker mother and a "non-Aryan" father. The Mortal Storm was the last movie Sullavan and Stewart ever did together. also stars Robert Young and Robert Stack

what caught my eye was actor Ward Bond played a Nazi named Franz. he was John Waynes' pal and drinking bud and starred in mainly westerns. just when you think you've seen it all.