Photo

Posting my pics..HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 tankerman

tankerman
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,715
  • 500 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 10:36 AM

Hello...I have been trying to poste pics on various forums. Most pics over 150K even after cropping. I have the KODAK EASYSHARE SYSTEM. Camera a KODAK CX6230. I have used the "crop" edit and have sent to "zipped" file. The zipped will not attach. I have been trying for several days. I note NO RESIZE prompt. Any help appreciated. tankerman

#2 scottplen

scottplen
  • Members
    • Member ID: 620
  • 4,038 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 06:17 AM

hello
I have same problem with my kodak easyshare camera even on other siteslike ebay or even emails they don't load!???

#3 Gregory

Gregory
  • Members
    • Member ID: 75
  • 3,047 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 07:23 AM

Most likely you saved your imges as CMYK. Save images only as RGB.

#4 Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson

Forum Co-Founder (Ret)

• Administrators
    • Member ID: 2
  • 26,631 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 07:44 AM

I have not worked with KODAK EASYSHARE before but since it is free software for Mac or Windows I downloaded a copy this morning and gave it a try.

It looks like you re-size your images when you save, and on the Mac at least you use the SAVE AS command. Here are screen shots from my Mac but I'd assume the Windows version has similar commands.

The two things we need to do for good web photos are cropping and re-sizing: so many photos posted here have not been cropped and we see a small object surrounded by acres of carpet, bedspread, wall, or other backdrop.

Let's do this image:

koadtest1.jpg

We of course want to crop out the wall, so we select the crop tool and the FREE FORM option (which lets us have flexibility in cropping):

koadtestcrop1.jpg

After cropping we select SAVE AS and then select the size option SPECIFY SIZE. There are other size options but this in the best one for our purposes. Generally you should set it so that the maximum of any one size is 600 pixels. In this case I set it for 500 pixels and since this is a narrow image that means with will be 500 pixels tall. Using SAVE AS also gives you the option to rename the photo: thats a good idea because it lets you use an "plain English" name that is easy to identify when looking through a folder full of photos, and it keeps the original image un-edited. It's also a good idea to a create folders just for photos. I have a folder for EBAY photos and another for photos I edit for use on the forum.

koadtestsave.jpg

And here is the final photo - it is just 15Kb

kodaktest.jpg

#5 RRA227

RRA227
  • Members
    • Member ID: 140
  • 680 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 04:34 AM

Tankerman,What quality setting do you have your camera set for? Set it at the lowest picture quality setting on the camera. Screen quality is 72 DPI if I remember correct. Even if you take "printable photo grade" photos they will not be displayed on a monitor at photo quality. They will be displayed at screen resoloution. Do you have Adobe photoshop? LivePix? Any photo manipulation programs? Check at CNet or any download site for a free photo manipulation program. Rich A. in Pa.

#6 Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson

Forum Co-Founder (Ret)

• Administrators
    • Member ID: 2
  • 26,631 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 08:02 AM

Tankerman,What quality setting do you have your camera set for? Set it at the lowest picture quality setting on the camera. Screen quality is 72 DPI if I remember correct. Even if you take "printable photo grade" photos they will not be displayed on a monitor at photo quality. They will be displayed at screen resoloution. Do you have Adobe photoshop? LivePix? Any photo manipulation programs? Check at CNet or any download site for a free photo manipulation program. Rich A. in Pa.

I've been professional graphic designer and photographer for many years and have used Photoshop since about 1992 and I have to say that Kodak's free EASYSHARE software seem to be more than adequate for most web photo use. All digital photos are 72DPI (dots - or pixels - per inch), but for printing you want to have an image equal to at least 144DPI. So, if you have a photo 720 pixels wide, then it should be printed at more than five inches wide (720 divided by 144). But on some computer screens you could display that photo so it looks 10 inches wide and it will have even better looking quality than the five inch print.

Most multi-megapixel cameras take photos pictures that are way too big for web use, so they do have the be shrunk down to size. If your photos are only going to be used on the web then you can indeed select one of your camera's lower quality settings. Since most people do shoot photos that have a lot of garbage around the edges that needs cropping, using a setting such 1024x768 or 1600x1200 ensures that your image is not too small after cropping: it's not a good idea to enlarge an image because you will lose quality.

Now of course you can shoot high resolution images and shrink them down to size for the web, but the problem there is that you will also lose quality that way, primarily the loss of sharpness and fine detail. I explain a little more about that at http://www.usmilitar...php?showtopic=7 and show some examples on my website at http://bobhudson.com/reducephotos/

#7 Kurt Barickman

Kurt Barickman

Forum Subject Advisor

• FORUM SUBJECT ADVISOR
    • Member ID: 199
  • 3,053 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 06:25 PM

I just bought a Kodak Easy Share z1275 and my pictures are too big to post here now. Took several photos of some groups I was going to post and have spent the last two weekends trying to figure this out, any help here would be appreciated.

Kurt Barickman

#8 teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 376
  • 21,550 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 08:09 AM

I just bought a Kodak Easy Share z1275 and my pictures are too big to post here now. Took several photos of some groups I was going to post and have spent the last two weekends trying to figure this out, any help here would be appreciated.

Kurt Barickman

Kurt, does your photo editing software show a button / tab for compression? That will often do the trick if your unable to crop.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users