What's your favorite Willie & Joe cartoon?

strawberry 9

willysmb44

My re-enacting group (the only one ever endorsed by Bill Mualdin himself) re-created one of Mauldin's cartoons a few years back, with a Dad and his two sons:

WnJ2a.jpg

This is the original cartoon:

09.jpg

Believe it or not, way back in high school (early 60's), in one of my english classes, "Up Front", by Bill Mauldin was on the reading list. Our young female english teacher was a big fan of Willie & Joe. Best book I ever read for a school assignment!

I've always loved Mauldin's work. The "Fugitive from the law of averages" cartoon posted earlier is one of my favorites. Another favorite concerns Willie and Joe (fighting in Italy), reading about the Normandy Invasion.

WillieampJoeHole.jpg

Th' hell this ain't th' most important hole in the world. I'm in it.

• 6 years later...

Not a real Willie and Joe obviously but my version of the two. This is a cartoon I drew and placed on my table at shows for many years.

Ronnie

post-7752-0-99349000-1578644728.jpeg

General Apathy

_maul50.jpg

Hi Firefighter and others on this thread, Here's an example of a wartime sign-board where Maudlin would have got the inspiration for his cartoon. This location is a few miles from where I live, the house with the town name painted roughly on it is still there with the painting still visible.

lewis.

.post-344-0-19403200-1578685530_thumb.jpg

Excellent!

Hi Firefighter and others on this thread, Here's an example of a wartime sign-board where Maudlin would have got the inspiration for his cartoon. This location is a few miles from where I live, the house with the town name painted roughly on it is still there with the painting still visible.

lewis.

"The Post Office did a stamp and special cancellation envelope awhile back that I got of Mauldin on it with a Joe cartoon .

Johnny"

There is also this one from 1993

post-169612-0-59087000-1578849815_thumb.jpg

post-169612-0-66405200-1578849846_thumb.jpg

Rene