What's your favorite Willie & Joe cartoon?

strawberry 9

I always get a laugh out of the one where he's pulled his 45 pistol and is ready to shoot his wrecked Jeep :D

That was always one of my favorites, along with them under a german STUG, calling it in. In the late 80's, I had extra duty, and part of my "punishment" was to "draw" them in on our Platoon CP using the old overhead to project the images on the on wall to trace the template...

eating.jpg

vostoktrading

Here's one of my favorites:

Caption: "Uncle Willie!".

Willie stuck in the infantry as a dogface while his young nephew is a full colonel in the USAAF.

post-7885-0-29976600-1352413024.jpg

Nothin better than Willie and Joe. I would say my favorite is the Cav sergeant, but I also like the one where they are trying to carefully capture the German, and most especially his booze.

Nothin better than Willie and Joe. I would say my favorite is the Cav sergeant, but I also like the one where they are trying to carefully capture the German, and most especially his booze.

post-100432-0-90664300-1352606567.jpg

"Don't startle 'im, Joe — it's almost full."

Johnny Signor

post-100432-0-18029900-1352344460.jpg

Yeah , that's the one, thanks for posting it, I could kick myself as some years ago I had an original book that had a bunch of his art in it and I stooooopidly sold it for a small amount, Duhhhhhhhhh !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Post Office did a stamp and special cancellation envelope awhile back that I got of Muadlin on it with a Joe cartoon .

Johnny

vostoktrading

"The Post Office did a stamp and special cancellation envelope awhile back that I got of Mauldin on it with a Joe cartoon .

Johnny"

post-7885-0-86100200-1352652985_thumb.jpg

• 6 months later...
willysmb44

Yeah , that's the one, thanks for posting it, I could kick myself as some years ago I had an original book that had a bunch of his art in it and I stooooopidly sold it for a small amount, Duhhhhhhhhh !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Post Office did a stamp and special cancellation envelope awhile back that I got of Muadlin on it with a Joe cartoon .

Johnny

That 'shooting the jeep' shot was funnier in it's original form, a pre-war toon he did of a cavalry trooper with the 'smokey' hat and riding pants on. He didn't need to even put markings on the Jeep (a rendered prewar Ford GP) that way. That cartoon rarely ever turns up in it's original form, though...

I am lucky enough to know Mualdin biographer Tood Depastino, he got me the program for the stamp release when it first came out, signed by several of Mauldin's relatives!

I love them all. When I was a book printer we ran a book of his cartoons on the 50th anniversay of D-Day. It was kind of cool hitting the "run" button, watching the print quality and reading cartoons for 8 glorious hours. I had all the scrap books boxed a brought to my press after the job was complete, I gave them out as gifts for years. I can't remember a better day...Oh yea my last one there :) Here is the cover.

9780891411598_p0_v1_s260x420.jpg

Bob

Captainofthe7th

"Joe, yestiddy ya saved my life an' I swore I'd pay ya back. Here's my last pair of dry socks."

_maul04.jpg

Rob