Named Army Good Conduct Medals

Jay V

Hi Guys

Well tought i would start a little thread revolving around Ww2 Named Army good conduct medals.here's some of what i have,and hope to see what else is out there.Jay

post-564-0-90470300-1352157288_thumb.jpg

Well none of these are maker marked,and to be honest dont know how to tell which firm made what.I do have some that came in there original boxes which helps.Is there anyone that maybe can give me some insight on ID'ing the makers.Jay

Ps>> Thanks for the comment Capazo

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys

Thought i would share the latest additions to the named GC medal collection.Also still wondering if there is a way to determine which firm could have made these? Thanks Jay

post-564-0-65311000-1353637845_thumb.jpg

ZeketheAwesome

HOLY COW! Thats alot of Army GCMs! You mentioned something about maker marks, but I didn't think WWII GCM's were maker marked (at least the Army's GCMs). Very nice display though!

Thanks for the nice comments guys.I know they were not maker marked per say ,but just hoping to find a way to determine which firm could have made them.Jay

ZeketheAwesome

Hey jay, are any of those medals numbered? I know a small number of Army GCM's were numbered and was wondering if you had one to show.

Jay,

Nice collection, I have more than a few myself.

I have never seen a makers mark or hallmark on a WWII vintage Army Good Conduct Medal.

I do have a list of some of the companies that made them and the contract dates associated with them.

If you had enough boxed examples of these medasl, you could record the manufacturer and contract information and the details of the medals (i.e. color stitching, slot brooch characteristics, planchet thickness, diameter, and weight, ribbon length). After doing that you might be able to draw some conclusions about who made what medal. Or you might find that there is not enough variance in them to matter.

Semper Fi,

Bruce Linz

Hi Guys

Well the answer a few questions,only have one numbered GCM and its not named,hopefully will find a named and numbered one to had to the collection.

Also 99% of them aren't boxed so wont be able to go that route.But there is diffently differences in the thickness,medal color,ribbon length,even the color in thread used to secure the split brooch.There is even differnt styles of engraving.Eighter way i enjoy them and hope to continue to add more to the collection soon.Thanks for all the kind comments and info,Jay

PS>> Have 2 more on the way and will post when they arrive

Jay,

Most of the medals I have are not in the boxes either so identifying manufacturers would be difficult. I also have noticed the same differences in the medals that you mentioned.

The style of naming and how they are engraved or impressed is a function of who the medal went to to have that done. Again, if you knew the separation centers these soldiers went through you could probably make some good educated guesses about the naming. That too seems to be lost to history.

I do like collecting them and I'm close to completing the alphabet - need engraved examples of last names starting with "Q" and "X".

Semper Fi,

Bruce Linz