Nixon White House aide's Vietnam/Cambodia uniform - red dirt & all

Bob Hudson

A retired Marine who did several tours in Vietnam came by my booth, looked at the boots and said, "Oh, Cambodian dirt!"

I guess once you've seen it, you won't forget it.

Neat story.

RC

If that didn't get some attention I don't know what would.

Very nice, just an amazing find.

RC

I put up a sign explaining what the uniform was about, and it did indeed get lots of attention, but no buyers with a fistful of hundred dollar bills.

The other White House staffer on this trip was Presidential Counsellor Bryce N Harlow. In the box with Klein's stuff was brown wrapping with "HARLOW" written on it. It seems like it was something for clothing, maybe that's how the delegation members got their uniforms - in plain brown wrappers...

23.jpg

Harlow gave a pretty good account of the fact-finding mission in a speech later in 1970. Here's a PDF of that:

Harlow061870.pdf

While Klein and Nixon had been Naval officers in WWII, Harlow served in WWII as an Army officer on the staff of General George C. Marshall.

And I found another newspaper story, one that gives pretty good rundown on the policy decisions that led to this visit:

1.jpg

• 10 months later...

I'm sure it is long gone, but this is a very cool uniform with some interesting history. I especially liked the dirt that came with it. How often do presedential staff uniforms come onto the market like this? I'm guessing not often?

RustyCanteen

I'm sure it is long gone, but this is a very cool uniform with some interesting history. I especially liked the dirt that came with it. How often do presedential staff uniforms come onto the market like this? I'm guessing not often?

I believe Bob found a buyer not long after this thread was started. I would hazard a guess that most uniforms that are encountered are dress uniforms, but something like the one posted by Bob, complete and with mud still on it? It's priceless.