281 replies to this topic

#276 67Rally

67Rally
  • Members
    • Member ID: 9,529
  • 3,297 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 08:42 PM

Al,

IMO, the pattern of anchor with the separately applied fouled chain was used early on by several manufacturers.  Perhaps this was the initial design when WW2 started and many used it prior to making their own particular designs?  Was it something one manufacturer produced and then marketed it to others...unknown to me.

I would tend to agree, based on the hardware shown, it is probably an item produced or assembled by J.R. Gaunt of London, England.  If you compare the mounting hardware with the examples of different insignia in the J.R. Gaunt section on "hallmarks", I think you'll agree.

http://www.usmilitar...23952-jr-gaunt/

I would also suggest looking into the Australian manufacturer's Wallace Bishop, of Brisbane, Australia and K.G. Luke as they used similar hardware.  Any source details you can share?

Hope that helps some.
Tim

Mine is nearly identical to yours and it has "G. LUKE MELBOURNE" and I believe the "K" didn't get fully impressed, the "G" is more notable yet it is lightly impressed...just heavier than the K. My pin is just a few posts above this post.

Edited by 67Rally, 15 January 2018 - 08:43 PM.

#277 ChiefLopez

ChiefLopez
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 260,274
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 04:29 AM

I have been looking for a few months now with no luck. Where is everyone finding the old combination cover devices? Any advice on where to start. Im trying to start a collection.

#278 67Rally

67Rally
  • Members
    • Member ID: 9,529
  • 3,297 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 05:06 AM

I have been looking for a few months now with no luck. Where is everyone finding the old combination cover devices? Any advice on where to start. Im trying to start a collection.

It is all about timing. I have a tiny collection (which includes the four pieces that i acquired last year and posted to this thread, just a few posts previous to this) and it isn't growing much due to the same reasons that you are experiencing. These just aren't leaving collections or making it to market. My last four came from another collector who passed away and I was happy to become their caretaker.

#279 ChiefLopez

ChiefLopez
  • New Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 09:52 AM

It is all about timing. I have a tiny collection (which includes the four pieces that i acquired last year and posted to this thread, just a few posts previous to this) and it isn't growing much due to the same reasons that you are experiencing. These just aren't leaving collections or making it to market. My last four came from another collector who passed away and I was happy to become their caretaker.

#280 ChiefLopez

ChiefLopez
  • New Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 09:53 AM

Im looking for one with a rope. Guess Im going to ha e to keep trying. I have a lot of notification turned on for different site. Wish me luck.

#281 Salvage Sailor

Salvage Sailor

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 2,322
  • 10,467 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 10:59 AM

CPO Carpenters Mate greys

Pin back, solid back, no hallmarks, chain type WWII

Attached Images

• 001 lg.jpg
  • 006 lg.jpg
  • 008 lg.jpg