C. 1900 Era Marine Uniforms just recently surfaced

ludwigh1980

Browsing Photo's of Spanish American War uniforms online for uniform research, came across an auction listing asvertised in an online antique magazine: A uniform group spread between 5 lots. Call the auctioneer, he finds a name: Colleton. Do some initial research throught the Ancestry's Marine Muster rolls, INTERESTING. I register to phone bid. I have enough time to dump some stuff. Got the cash, auction day comes, I wait around all day for the call. I win all of the lots. What seem like an eternity (week and 1/2), it comes. Nearly every piece is named. One Uniform set is dated 1898-1899, One set is dated 1901-1902. Stenciled COLLETON in most pieces, J.V. Colleton in a few

One of my holy grails.

Here is a teaser:

For you Marine Collectors that are members of Ancestry: John V. Colleton also comes up as John G. Colleton (V. and G. sounds close enough to the field clerk)

post-23325-0-53329100-1351575734_thumb.jpeg

Humuna Humuna Humuna!!!! :love: Great finds and definitely something you dont see to often especially in named groups, cant wait to see close ups after "containment."

Philip

Wonderful find! Cant wait to see them when they leave quarantine....would very much like to see details of the blue service cap inside and out.....Again glad you got the group!

This is a Boxer Rebellion Marine!

" Name: John V Colleton Muster Date: Sep 1900 Enlistment Date: 20 Mar 1900 Rank: Private Station: CO C 3rd Batt 1st Regt Marines Tientrin China"

He went from China to the Moro Rebellion in the Philippines. His company commander Capt. Hiram I. Bearss received the Medal of Honor in that campaign.

Name:

John V Colleton

Muster Date:

Jan 1902

Enlistment Date:

20 Mar 1900

Private

Station:

Company D 1st Regiment Marine Bks, Basey, Samar, P I

His Company CO in China was William Nessler McKelvy Sr., who was awarded the Marine Corps Brevet Medal in the Span-Am War.

Thank you all, Thank you Forum Support for posting the research. I am currently trying to track down his service record. This group just came out of a trunk and then sold at a Eastern Auction House just about a few weeks ago. It includes his redlined caped over coat. Two sets of undress uniforms (Blues) with Trousers. Both sets have legible depot markings and dates. One set of summer undress: Coat, Trousers, and the leggings. And lastly the 1897 pattern cap with original badge (untouched) .

I have been searching for a documented Boxer Rebellion (Peking Relief Expedition ) uniform for a very long time (Of any armed services branch).

Terry in Colorado

Some things that might help get his records:

From his Navy pension file:

collpen1.jpg

His WWII "Old Man's" draft registration:

colldraft1.jpg

Here's his Social Security info

Name: John Colleton SSN: 029-18-3972 Last Residence: Massachusetts Born: 14 Feb 1884 Died: Jul 1965 State (Year) SSN issued: Massachusetts (Before 1951)

WOW! Congratulations! I, being a uniform and headgear collector of this same time period but in U.S. Army, know how hard groupings like this are to find. I cannot wait to see more and I have really been enjoying your contributions to the forum.

Mario

Early Marine Records are kept in Washington DC at the National Archives - FYI

Colleton received China Relief Expedition Medal #444

The family was locally known - I grew up in Hampden Ma. (about 10 miles from Monson Ma.)

Bill

Early Marine Records are kept in Washington DC at the National Archives - FYI

Colleton received China Relief Expedition Medal #444

The family was locally known - I grew up in Hampden Ma. (about 10 miles from Monson Ma.)

Bill

Thanks Bill, thats were this came from Monson Mass. antique auction. The uniforms were pictured in the Arts and Antiques Magazine. Thanks for the info. There was no medals or paper work. Maybe Medal #444 is out there somewhere. Corp. Colleton got out in 1905 so I started with St Louis first. Probably will end up at DC.

Terry in Colorado

Brian Dentino

Talk about a find! Wow, and a Samar vet as well.....this man served with some big names in USMC history.....in the company of legends....and its yours! Great find, with a super heritage. Congrats! Can't wait to see more detailed pics of the group.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for the Comments. I am just getting around to post more pictures. I am wanting to ducument this group as uniforms from this period from the U.S. Marine Corp are extremely uncommon, especially a Boxer Rebellion Marine.

Here is the first coat. Bears the quartermaster markings in the Sleave and the date 1898-1899. Was originally issued to another marine and Colleton partially removed the original stencil and marked over the top of it: Jo.V. Colleton

post-23325-0-55140500-1352570166_thumb.jpeg