Unknown USMC Patch

Eric Queen

This sold on eBay a week or so ago for $275 (not to me). I was wondering if anyone had any idea what it is. I thought it was interesting because it has the components of the 15th Separate Btn, but in different locations and colors. (this patch: Black "V" under yellow EGA on red shield, 15th SB: White "V" in black EGA on red shield). I personally don't think there is a connection but thought it was interesting.

Thanks

EQ

x.jpg

I had bid on this patch but lost to a very well known advanced collector. He rarely makes a mistake and I had also noticed it was posted in the patch reference section for Marine patches. It is definitely a period patch. Mort

You could be right. Cannot imagine what else it could be. $275 seems like a lot for a sweetheart/novelty patch. I would have thought more like forty bucks. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

We have had two of these USMC patches for some time - one like the one on the original post and one on a dark blue felt square. I am posting those, plus a few others made differently, including two on legit WWI period USMC tunics. This would tend to indicate legit wear/use, rather than sweetheart items. It would sure be nice to find the real answer.

This may take more than one post.

Patch Johnson

post-640-0-98470100-1353040998.jpg

Wow those are pretty neat. The patch on the first uniform is interesting, thick thread and probably made overseas during the occupation period, that is when the 11th and 13th Marine Regiments were overseas. The second uniform patch, however, looks very much as though it was part of one of the son in service banners that I have seen. Probably cut out and then applied over the V. That dosen't by any means make it fake, it just means that a Marine made it or had it made. I too have seen several of the loose patches. They appear to be US made to me. I really think they were made for the veterans and for veteran parades. They are a little different from the typically recognized patch for the 11th and 13th and do not have any variation for regiment and battalion. Remember, the vets after WWI were very proud of their service and wore their uniforms in victory parades for years. My grandfather bought several patches in France before coming home and then my Grandma sewed them on his uniform. Just my 2 cents - Jeff

Thanks Steve. Very interesting. I asked my dad about it (he collected WW1 USMC for about 30 years) and he had never seen anything like it before. I would be very surprised if there were a connection to the 5th Brigade (especially with the blue backgrounds) but anything is possible I guess. I wonder if it could have been a patch for stateside (or otherwise part of a unit which did not have its own patch) marines to wear with the "V" for Victory?

Thanks. Learn something new everyday. Had never seen anything like that before. I wonder why they would use the shape of the 15th Separate Bn. instead of the 11th (or 13th)?

Mark, just have to ask. Do we know for sure that Hawkridge was not with the 15th SP after the 11th? That's where most of them came from.

Mark, just have to ask. Do we know for sure that Hawkridge was not with the 15th SP after the 11th? That's where most of them came from.

Eric,

Don't see any indication of that in any of the paperwork I have on him. Looks like 11th regiment all the way through. Even the Pershing ltr sent to all soldiers after February 1919 has him attached to the regiment.

Mark

Thanks Mark. Is there any info on him after FEB 1919? The 15th SB was formed in JUN 1919. Is there any indication that he went back to the States with the rest of the 5th Brigade the end of JUL?

Thanks Mark. Is there any info on him after FEB 1919? The 15th SB was formed in JUN 1919. Is there any indication that he went back to the States with the rest of the 5th Brigade the end of JUL?

Eric,

I have the postcard he sent when they sailed from France aboard the transport Antigone on July 21, 1919.

Mark

Thanks Mark. Definately not with the 15th SB then. All I can say is.......strange.

Thanks again to everyone who responded and shared images. Much appreciated.