Facial Hair in the 20 and 21st Century

patches

Woa ho, nice one BEAST, you were holding out on us :lol: Your Father, what unit was he in, we just see a smidgen of his shoulder patch

Patches,

Dad served with the 319th Medical Bn, 94th Infantry Division. I have a couple other photos of friends of his sporting goatees. However by V-E Day, they are all clean shaven.

Patches,

Dad served with the 319th Medical Bn, 94th Infantry Division. I have a couple other photos of friends of his sporting goatees. However by V-E Day, they are all clean shaven.

Ah yes Brittany December 1944, just before the Neuf Quatre Division was sent to the front line in early January, where in approximately three months of combat suffered over 1,000 combat deaths and over 4,000 wounded.

Really Big Hair :lol: I love that one Mark, those two down in front are early sporters of the Rockabillie look :lol: maybe they orignated it post war :lol:

• 7 months later...

Really Big Hair :lol: I love that one Mark, those two down in front are early sporters of the Rockabillie look :lol: maybe they orignated it post war :lol:

AYYY !! nothing wrong with the rockabilly look !!!

post-106122-0-24342700-1383511696.jpg

the photo ??? yours truly

LB

I read somewhere that facial hair was generally considered a no-no for combat troops in WW2 because its presence prevented a good air-tight seal if a gas mask had to be worn. Same applied to aviators' oxygen masks.

Generally speaking -- through the decades there was (is?) a lifestyle trend to think that social outcast only do not shave themselves.

I think I have posted these somewhere at some point or another. These are Coast Guard boys stationed at Eldred Rock lighthouse here in Alaska in 1943. I don't know if the Coast Guard had different regs on facial hair, but it seems to almost be a prerequisite for life in Alaska.

post-2011-0-83948700-1383717367.jpg

post-2011-0-60849900-1383717377.jpg

post-2011-0-62791000-1383717407.jpg

I think that during WW2, the CG was the only branch that allowed for the growing of a beard... I am suprised to see all of these eccentric facial hair patterns. Surely they were the exception....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
Johndanger

one of the fullest Army beards I have seen, George Legg, Germany spring 1945, George decided not to shave after D Day

post-3435-0-15089100-1399398948.jpg

one of the fullest Army beards I have seen, George Legg, Germany spring 1945, George decided not to shave after D Day

Now this guy looks like Wildman from the old Sgt Rock comics :D

post-34986-0-14019400-1399405273.jpg

HoovieDude

Menly men! I'm jealous they got away with it. Gotta love the mentality the last few decades that your war fighting skills and abilities are directly tied to how high and tight your haircut is, and how smooth shaven your jaws be. I was one of the what seemed like only a handful of rebels and wore a mustache my entire career. Most of the time, pushing the regs, if not exceeding them, on its length, etc.. Was worth it, even when the target of the CSM's ire B)

• 3 months later...

post-34986-0-35508900-1409110054.jpg

A waxed mustashe is sported by 2nd Lieutenant James Kemp, a Signal Corps Officer of the 3rd Signal Company, 3rd Infantry Division. Kemp was KIA after Anzio on June 3 1944, proving that even the support units of the 3rd Div were not immune to the massive casualties suffered by this Division during WWII. Kemp was actually an EM before this, and very unusual for a Signal unit, received a battlefield commision, this might of had something to do with the fact that for actions while performing some mission, Wire Laying?, in November 43 at or near the Volturno he was awarded the Silver Star.

• 2 weeks later...