• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 panzerbait

panzerbait
  • Members
    • Member ID: 11,529
  • 284 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 04:46 AM

Anybody hear/read the rumor that Spielberg, Hanks and HBO are possibly developing another miniseries based on the air war in the Pacific?

#2 Sabrejet

Sabrejet
  • Members
    • Member ID: 8,022
  • 36,159 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 04:51 AM

Anybody hear/read the rumor that Spielberg, Hanks and HBO are possibly developing another miniseries based on the air war in the Pacific?

"Band of Flyers! ?! ;)

#3 king802

king802
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,878
  • 2,173 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 05:07 AM

"Band of Flyers! ?! ;)

Ian,

That was so poor it's almost epic :D

There is a rumour !

Rich

http://collider.com/...-series/204805/

Edited by king802, 25 October 2012 - 05:11 AM.

#4 BEAST

BEAST
  • Members
    • Member ID: 203
  • 7,609 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 05:20 AM

"Band of Flyers! ?! ;)

Close Ian! I'm thinking "Band of Blacksheep"! VMF-214 was the only air unit in the Pacific theater, right? :)

#5 Bellumbill

Bellumbill
  • Members
    • Member ID: 661
  • 223 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 05:46 AM

I think it would be interesting to focus on the air war in the CBI - Some pretty exciting stories to be told and a variety - Flying the Hump (transport - very important part of WWII), Flying Tigers, all the different fighter and bomber groups in both India and China. Exotic locations and a story that doesn't often get told. Would think it would be a "no brainer" for Spielberg as his father flew in the CBI - 490th BS, "The Burma Bridge Busters".

#6 Sabrejet

Sabrejet
  • Members
  • 36,159 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 05:51 AM

For "CBI" read "CGI"...if it ever comes to pass?

#7 capa

capa
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,646
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 06:20 AM

I'm still waiting for a movie about the men who served way out on the edge in China during the war. That an one about the women ferry pilots.

#8 RustyCanteen

RustyCanteen

ADMINISTRATOR

• Administrators
    • Member ID: 24,355
  • 10,638 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 06:35 AM

I'm waiting for this to be made, I would go see it: http://www.usmilitar...-woman-of-wwii/

#9 jgawne

jgawne
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,657
  • 2,932 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 06:49 AM

I may be wrong, but I seem to recall Speilberg's dad was in aviation in the Pacific. Plus they just did a big thing about him and his fgather and their reconciliation, so it would seem like something he would either do, or "executive produce."

#10 teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 376
  • 15,210 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:02 AM

Yes... earlier this month, HBO's Michael Lombardo and Richard Pleper said they're considering a third miniseries, which would follow the aerial battles in the Pacific during the second World War.

#11 RustyCanteen

RustyCanteen

ADMINISTRATOR

• Administrators
  • 10,638 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:02 AM

I may be wrong, but I seem to recall Speilberg's dad was in aviation in the Pacific. Plus they just did a big thing about him and his fgather and their reconciliation, so it would seem like something he would either do, or "executive produce."

I believe you are correct.

I'm wondering what road they will take if this is actually something that will happen, will it be about fighter squadrons or bomber squadrons.

However, I admit I was disappointed with the last effort. I don't want to get my hopes up.

#12 Waltz41

Waltz41
  • Members
    • Member ID: 89,245
  • 350 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 09:19 AM

Yes... earlier this month, HBO's Michael Lombardo and Richard Pleper said they're considering a third miniseries, which would follow the aerial battles in the Pacific during the second World War.

I would love to see that be made. And it makes sense for them, as both Band of Brothers and The Pacific I think did pretty well for them. Heck, I know I got HBO on our cable just for those series then dropped it!

#13 Sabrejet

Sabrejet
  • Members
  • 36,159 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 10:27 AM

Inevitably it will look like a cross between "Dogfights" and "Red Tails", notwithstanding any advances in computer animation technology which might evolve in the meantime.

#14 willysmb44

willysmb44
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,617
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:00 AM

That thudding sound you're hearing to the west is me banging my head against my keyboard.... You just know this is going to be about the Navy or Marines.
Swell, we so badly needed yet another movie/TV experience that makes the public think that only the USN and Marines were fighting in the Pacific. I've given up at displays explaining to people that the Marines were a small percentage of the US forces fighting the Japanese in the PTO, so many people saw the Pacific series and argue that I'm wrong because only the Marines fought there...
Other than Pearl Harbor films and "The Thin Red Line," there are very few movies that show the Army in the PTO. Such an injustice against the Army vets (which included three uncles, all of who were in the PTO and all were Army).

#15 RustyCanteen

RustyCanteen

ADMINISTRATOR

• Administrators
  • 10,638 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:24 AM

That thudding sound you're hearing to the west is me banging my head against my keyboard.... You just know this is going to be about the Navy or Marines.
Swell, we so badly needed yet another movie/TV experience that makes the public think that only the USN and Marines were fighting in the Pacific. I've given up at displays explaining to people that the Marines were a small percentage of the US forces fighting the Japanese in the PTO, so many people saw the Pacific series and argue that I'm wrong because only the Marines fought there...
Other than Pearl Harbor films and "The Thin Red Line," there are very few movies that show the Army in the PTO. Such an injustice against the Army vets (which included three uncles, all of who were in the PTO and all were Army).

I agree, to an extent..

For instance we have had many good movies and shows about Marines in the PTO, but most of the Navy movies are decades old, and not all that accurate. I would love to see a big budget hollywood film about the Navy in the Solomons or Battle of Leyte Gulf, I would even settle for a new "Midway" film, there are dozens of interesting naval battles from the PTO. But people aren't interested in ships for some reason..

I was disappointed with "The Pacific", not because of errors (historical or otherwise) but because it was only about the Marines, I don't have a problem that it was about the Marines, they needed a good series. My opinion is that the name was too encompassing of the entire theater, I am probably not the only one who had hoped it would start out showing the events of December 8th 1941 at Clark Field, maybe another episode devoted to Bataan or even Corregidor and then move on to another cast and location.

Yes, in general the public forgets the Army fought on many islands and in several campaigns in the PTO.

#16 Sabrejet

Sabrejet
  • Members
  • 36,159 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:33 AM

Gentlemen...the above posts demonstrate that we all have our favourite theatres/battles etc., but realistically, it ain't gonna happen movie-wise! Movies are all about making money. An obscure little battle, no matter how interesting to us, will not put butts on movie-theatre seats. The movie-makers would (literally) want the "bigger picture" which Mr & Mrs Joe Public and their 2.5 kids will probably have heard about and will come and see...and we all know how potentially disastrous that can be....think "Pearl Harbor" !! :o We're better served by classic documentaries like "The World at War" IMHO.

#17 RustyCanteen

RustyCanteen

ADMINISTRATOR

• Administrators
  • 10,638 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:42 AM

Gentlemen...the above posts demonstrate that we all have our favourite theatres/battles etc., but realistically, it ain't gonna happen movie-wise! Movies are all about making money. An obscure little battle, no matter how interesting to us, will not put butts on movie-theatre seats. The movie-makers would (literally) want the "bigger picture" which Mr & Mrs Joe Public and their 2.5 kids will probably have heard about and will come and see...and we all know how potentially disastrous that can be....think "Pearl Harbor" !! :o We're better served by classic documentaries like "The World at War" IMHO.

I agree, don't get history from a movie. It's there purely for entertainment. B)

But it is a shame that the history is 'picked' to make a better/more interesting film though, courage and sacrifice are not exclusive to any one branch, or any one battle. Movies tend to make the public think so.

(When I heard that film (Pearl Harbor) was in production I was curious if it would be 'better' than "Tora! Tora! Tora!", it..was not.) :rolleyes:

#18 cutiger83

cutiger83

Moderator - Temporary

• Moderators - Temporary
    • Member ID: 5,589
  • 4,594 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:44 AM

Yes, in general the public forgets the Army fought on many islands and in several campaigns in the PTO.

Women served in every theatre from Pearl Harbor/Bataan thru the first wave landing in North Africa thru the end of the war. Many people (even many on here) don't know that!

Edited by cutiger83, 25 October 2012 - 11:47 AM.

#19 RustyCanteen

RustyCanteen

ADMINISTRATOR

• Administrators
  • 10,638 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:47 AM

Women served in every theatre from the first wave landing in North Africa thru the end of the war. Many people (even many on here) don't know that!

I know! I do not understand how that ever happened, but it needs to be righted.

For the general public, it is normal, for collectors of history it's almost criminal to forget the past. :o

#20 Garandomatic

Garandomatic
  • Members
    • Member ID: 9,670
  • 3,281 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:49 AM

The 5th Air Force and of course the Navy at Leyte Gulf (yesterday was the anniversary) would certainly be good candidates. Perhaps we should get Spielberg's address and send him a copy of "The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors" and some CVE boys can get some glory.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

In Memory of Co-Founder GREG MILLS ROBINSON, a.k.a. "Marine-KaBar"
(February 17, 1949 - March 5, 2011)