5 replies to this topic

#1 Jack's Son

Jack's Son

Deceased

• IN MEMORIAM
    • Member ID: 8,213
  • 19,660 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 05:10 PM

Has anyone posted this yet?? FANTASTIC WEAPON!!

http://www.youtube.c...jGbOyd2ek?rel=0

#2 gpw_42

gpw_42
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,938
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 05:34 AM

I wonder how much Metal Storm paid the Discovery Channel for that piece?

It's an amazing capability, but there's no discussion of resupply/reloading, or how to secure it's great sensors. The sensors aren't worth a hoot when the battery dies. Perhaps I'm showing my roots as a traditionalist here.

Steve

#3 Jack's Son

Jack's Son

Deceased

• IN MEMORIAM
  • 19,660 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 07:45 AM

Steve,
It may well be a great concept, that has no practical use in this stage of development. I had hoped for more input, and I thank you for yours! :)

#4 m1ashooter

m1ashooter
  • Members
    • Member ID: 4,672
  • 2,697 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 09:17 AM

Since we killed something with a rock ages ago man has continued to develop fast ways to kill. Interesting weapon.

#5 Big Al

Big Al
  • Members
    • Member ID: 101,332
  • 926 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 05:04 PM

I don't think very much of it. The whole thing is nothing more than a ribauldequin with superimposed loads in each barrel. Also, like gpw_42 said, how is it reloaded and how are the sensors powered? Batteries run out of juice and get hit by counter-battery fire (from real artillery and aircraft) and are destroyed.

Also, at the 1,000,000 rpm rate of fire they purport is possible, it does not have the capability for much sustained fire. If it is set out in an ambush situation, I don't see this system producing 100% casualties. And whoever does survive is going to be calling in every airplane and artillery piece to destroy that damn thing.

I think it is a solution looking for a problem. But, unlike other solutions looking for problems (i.e., in chronological order, the machine gun, the light machine gun and the submachine gun) this thing will never find the problem it is seeking to fix. The days of going toe to toe with a first class power on the field of battle are past in this age of globalization. I'll stop right here before I get too political. I hate it when that happens.

#6 Jack's Son

Jack's Son

Deceased

• IN MEMORIAM
  • 19,660 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 08:13 PM

I agree with your point(s). On the other hand.......this does NOT have to be an ambush weapon, and it does NOT have to relay of sensors to operate.

Why not a self propelled rapid fire weapon?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users