Collins 1005 machete

notinfringed

One more question for the blade gurus. Some years back, a gentleman for whom I had a great deal of respect passed away. He was a friend of my uncle. He had no family, so he left all of his belongings to my uncle, and a few other friends of his. Anyway, they each had their own area of collecting (mostly southwestern US items) and they had a yard sale to dispose of items they were not interested in. This machete was one of these items.

post-2011-1203236515.jpg

post-2011-1203236532.jpg

post-2011-1203236547.jpg

I am thinking that this machete is not military, but I would like to know for sure. I know they did make a military version, but I assume it at least had a US stamped in it somewhere. Mine does not. Does anyone have a military example, or pictures thereof?

Levi

Levi,

Your Collins Army Machete was an issue item.I believe Collins made these from around the Spanish American War til shortly after WWl according to a company spoksman.You will find them in a tooled scabbard as well as smooth leather like yours.Sometimes the unit designation will be stamped/embossed into the leather.In general they were not US marked but I believe Coles book shows one which has been stamped after manufacture with US-ED (Engineer Department).Some of the more earlier ones exibit a Horn handle opposed to wood.The horn had a greenish color and tended to be suseptible to insects/worms.

RON

Thanks for the info Ron. I assumed that all US blades would be stamped US somewhere. I guess not. By the way, The scabbard is tooled, it is just hard to tell from the pictures. No unit markings though. Thanks again. thumbsup.gif

Does anyone else have a model 1005???? I would love to see pictures.

Levi

I am thinking that this machete is not military, but I would like to know for sure. I know they did make a military version, but I assume it at least had a US stamped in it somewhere.

Collins 1005 served in the US military up to WWII. If I am not mistaken Frank Trzaska's website shows one more picture of the US Army troops with M1 helmets where one of them has this machete.

post-75-1203242271.jpg

Doughboy1918,

According to M.H. Cole, when he wrote to Collins before they went out of business in 1967 they informed him that the 1005 was made from the Spanish American War to some time after WW1.

Collins was however notorious for not maintaining particularly accurate historical records.

Chris

It is a common misconception that the Collins 1005 dates from the Span-Am war. They do date to the WW1 era though.

Doughboy1918,

According to M.H. Cole, when he wrote to Collins before they went out of business in 1967 they informed him that the 1005 was made from the Spanish American War to some time after WW1.

Collins was however notorious for not maintaining particularly accurate historical records.

Chris

Collins records (from Collins Machetes and Bowies 1845-1965 by D.E.Henry) show that this machete was ordered by the Ordnance Department to their specifications in February 1913 as order #1889 (which may have been interpreted as a date instead of an order number). They kept a set of books (lost for many years) named the Edge Tool Register which had drawings of every tool and details as to dates, orders, number supplied, etc. These books were lost for many years and it is probable that at the time Mr. Cole inquired that these books were not available to them at the time to answer the question.

Bayonetman,

Thanks for clarifying that. My Cole book III was published in 1979, so I guess a few things have changed since then!

Chris

Collins records (from Collins Machetes and Bowies 1845-1965 by D.E.Henry) show that this machete was ordered by the Ordnance Department to their specifications in February 1913 as order #1889 (which may have been interpreted as a date instead of an order number). They kept a set of books (lost for many years) named the Edge Tool Register which had drawings of every tool and details as to dates, orders, number supplied, etc. These books were lost for many years and it is probable that at the time Mr. Cole inquired that these books were not available to them at the time to answer the question.

• 9 months later...

I have a Collins 1005 that was my GrandDad's. He was in the USMC from 1916-1920. He was issued it and brought it home from his banana war tour in Haiti. He was in the 11th Company then. Its in great shape and still has a sharp edge. He was pulled out of Haiti and was part of the original 4th Brigade. He finnished out his time with the 5th Battalion, Headquarters Company. I have the Collins 1005, his Kraig and two French Gras bayonet/swords that were his. He was William DeHaven, he made CPL twice and PVT three times.

I found my Collins 1005, with the proper scabbard, in a garage sale. The blade is inscribed "A 810." Does anyone know what unit this would be? Below is a poor quality picture of it. Thank you.

post-70-1227805976.jpg

I don't see any US markings , but I have a Collins machete as well . I always assumed an early 1900's US/Philippine connection , but I guess these were exported to many Spanish speaking countries .

The stamping is pretty light making it difficult to read . The model number appears to be "No 284" with 24" blade . I can make out Collins & Co , Hartford . Then 2 Spanish? words (too lightly stamped to make out) . Then "Garantizada" . It has the horn handle .

According to D.E. Henry's book, the Collins No. 284 machete had a 17" blade, slight curve, drop point. It was not regular U.S. military issue.

• 7 months later...

I just bought one on ebay.(buy it now) I hope I didn't over pay for it $80.00 Does it look all right do you guys. I didn't recieve it yet.

I'm using the pictures that were on the auction, but I modified them slightly.

He says the handle is bone,but it is probably horn which I think is correct

post-2501-1246566856.jpg

I think that is a good price. Better than the one I paid $75 for and mine is later having the wood handle without the ring around it.

Jason,

You got a terrific deal on that machete. Although mine has has the wood handle, I already had one; otherwise, I would have jumped on it. And you coulnd't ask for a better, more honest, seller than Rhonda. I know from experience; I've bought several items from her. Congratulations! :thumbsup:

Thanks Gunbarrel,

I took notice she probably lives only 15 minutes from me, darn I should of ask to pick -up the item. Oh well. You put me at ease saying this seller is a good one. Wow, I took notice there was another that just came on ebay and it started out at $149.00with a buy it now $205.00 and the condition looks worst than the one I'm getting. I will see once it comes. Here's the link to ebay auction.

http://cgi.ebay.com/COLLINS-1005-ARMY-MACH...%3A1%7C294%3A50

Jason

I saw this one as well and came darn close to snagging it myself because the price was quite reasonable. The only reason I hesitated is because it was not clear from the photos whether the Collins maker mark was completely absent (I suspect through use) or not.

Nice addition to the collection in either case.

Congratulations.

Tim