m-1 cut down bayonet

notinfringed

Hello all. I just got this m-1 at a gun show. I was wondering, did they put this style of tip on the blade when they cut them down, or did someone "hack" it later?

post-2011-1203209458.jpg

post-2011-1203209471.jpg

post-2011-1203209487.jpg

post-2011-1203209511.jpg

Levi

its good. you had the origional 10in and the cut down version 10in from the 16in long blades. there were 2 styles, spear point, knife point. (correct me if i'm wrong).

Thanks costa. I paid a little more for it than I am used to, but I think it was still under market value. I was just a little unsure of myself. thumbsup.gif

Levi

its good. you had the origional 10in and the cut down version 10in from the 16in long blades. there were 2 styles, spear point, knife point. (correct me if i'm wrong).

Reference Gary Cunningham's Bayonet Points, the point styles of the U.S. cut-down bayonets do not look like that, they look like this:

2_4POINTS.jpg

That style point looks like a Pakistani M1's. You can read about it here:

http://www.usmilitaryknives.com/porters_page_4.htm

Thanks gunbarrel. I think you may be correct. There is no "4t" stamping, but everything else matches up. The m7 scabbard has a heavy coat of paint on it, but you can still make out the flaming bomb. Just one more oddity for the collection. Thanks for your help.

Levi

damn man--- in my old age i'm slipping. i'm looking at the stampings on the blade and they look good to me and here it could be a refugee hitch hiker from way over there. just goes to show guys the repops are really causing mucho kaos. crying.gif