YANK Magazine Volume 1 Number 1

dan

I was given this uncirculated copy of YANK Magazine by a vet who was a Master Sergeant and worked on the staff. He told me it was never circulated because of the controversial issue of the pay raise in question for GI's back then. The mag is dated June 17th, 1942, Vol 1, No 1.

Dan

post-1227-1203193449.jpg

I don't know what they did for the first circulated issue. Unfortunately the vet I got the magazine from passed away a few years ago. He probably would have known. Maybe another member out there on the forum knows?

Dan

Never heard that story. But I have never seent hat issue. Doesn't really make sesne to me they would want to keep that raise quiet, as my understanding was that it was done to raise morale, and thus a big deal was made out of "look how much we love you guys!"

Still, who knows, and a very cool item. The problem with Yank is that there are a whole bunch of different editions, and one can go quite insane trying to collect them (ah, that's what happened to me). You'd think more issue #1's would have been kept, but i don't recall seeing any.

Can you post the city which is listed as the publication office? I assume the USA becasue no mention of a different edition on the cover, but there were lost of different editions in different places

I've looked it over and can't find this edition associated with any particular city. A footnote on the editorial page does say Entire Issue Copyright 1942 by The Yank, printed in the USA.

I also found some other stuff from this same vet. The first I think it may be a sample copy printed up before Vol 1, No 1 was made. This one has no date or Volume and Number on the cover and the cover page is a different format and color. On the inside, every other page is dated June 6.

post-1227-1203260817.jpg

The next one is a program which looks to be made up by the old timers from Stars and Stripes for the new YANK staff. This is a large piece that is folded in quarters and when open I'd say is poster size, printed on both sides. Looks like the old WW1 staff from S&S is throwing a party for the new WW2 Yank Staff. Across the top of the first page reads 'THIS BUNK EDITION PREPARED BY STARS AND STRIPES COMMITTEE FOR THE TESTIMONAL DINNER, JUNE 13TH, 1942, LOTOS CLUB, NEW YORK CITY'. For some reason I can't get it to post. Keeps telling me it's too large and it's the same size as my first attachment, driving me nuts right now.

Somewhere I also have a couple of minature editions (8 1/2x11?) of Yank that were printed overseas. If I can find them I will post them too. Can't remember where I put the damn things. :rolleyes: