U.S.M.C. Chevrons

hhbooker2

Here is what may at first appear to be a WW2 era PFC dress chevron but is actually a 1912 Lance Corporal chevron. The 1912 LCpl has several differences from the later issue PFC. The Lance Corporal chevron's lace stripe is 7/16ths of a inch wide, the same as the 1912 seam-to-seam ranks. It also forms a 90 degree angle with straight sides unlike later chevrons. Lastly, the Lance chevron is on a smaller piece of felt than later chevrons - 1/16" border on the Lance Corporal and just under 3/16" border on later dress chevrons. It wasn't until 1926 that PFC was a single chevron, prior that it's insignia was composed of a pair of crossed rifles.Here is the 1912 Lance Corporal rank by itself:

post-133515-0-48376100-1505164691_thumb.jpg

• 2 years later...

Hi Everyone

I am back to chevron and patch collecting after a 20 year break. On sorting my Marine Corps chevrons I have found a few I need more information on. I do not have any way to take pictures of them, so I hope descriptions will suffice.

1--Bright green corporal 2 5/8" chevrons on a pale yellow background with fold-over edge. Is this military or some non-military (police, etc.) type?

2--Olive green corporal 2 3/4" chevrons on gray background with crossed rifles and merrowed edge. What uniform were these for? What dates were they used?

3--Olive green on khaki with folded edge. I have these with 3 distinct colors of the chevrons: A-normal olive green. B-dark olive green. C-very dark (almost looking black) olive green. Are these just manufacturing variations or are they different dates of use?

Has anyone done a chronology of U.S. Marine Corps chevrons much like Emerson's book on Army chevrons?

Thanks for any help. I'm sure I will more question later.

Ron Merchant

olivedrab1970
26 minutes ago, Ron Merchant said:

Hi Everyone

I am back to chevron and patch collecting after a 20 year break. On sorting my Marine Corps chevrons I have found a few I need more information on. I do not have any way to take pictures of them, so I hope descriptions will suffice.

1--Bright green corporal 2 5/8" chevrons on a pale yellow background with fold-over edge. Is this military or some non-military (police, etc.) type?

2--Olive green corporal 2 3/4" chevrons on gray background with crossed rifles and merrowed edge. What uniform were these for? What dates were they used?

3--Olive green on khaki with folded edge. I have these with 3 distinct colors of the chevrons: A-normal olive green. B-dark olive green. C-very dark (almost looking black) olive green. Are these just manufacturing variations or are they different dates of use?

Has anyone done a chronology of U.S. Marine Corps chevrons much like Emerson's book on Army chevrons?

Thanks for any help. I'm sure I will more question later.

Ron Merchant

PM Sent,

Robin-

• 1 month later...