What do you Think about this Engraving Style?

tarbridge

P1010006.JPG

P1010004.JPG

This walked in the shop yesterday.It was all in a WWII style Air Medal box.So when I took the time to look closely I see the Air Medal and the USN Cood Conduct are not to the same person.So now I think the GCM is to the Father and the Air Medal to the son.

Pvt Walter L Eppel,Jr was born Aug.2 1922 and died Dec. 10 1972 and served in Korea.The engraving and lack of rank or branch on the Air Medal is different from what I usually see.So is this the best Korean War engraver left over from WWII or a WWII Air Medal lacking those embelishments.It sure looks Offficial.

Eppel was an ARM3C , so the AM and the GCM are probably both his even with the JR on one but not the other. In the muster I found he was being transported to Burmuda for duty. He was serving with VP-52. I almost wonder if his AM was awarded by the Army? I have some groups were the AM or DFC was awarded by the Army to a Navy flier.

The engraving is VERY similar to Army hand engraving I have seen in the 1948-50 time frame.

eppel.JPG

I found he and his Father on Ancestry. His father was a WWI vet who served from 1917-19. Im sure both the medals are his sons.

eppel2.JPG

• 5 years later...

I know this is an old thread, but I thought an update was appropriate.

I recently acquired this medal grouping and it came with copies of his service records. Walter Eppel was awarded the Air Medal from the 5th AF, USAAF in 1944. He finally received the medal in 1950. Here is a copy of the 5th USAAF General Order from 1944, and a copy of the 1950 USAF letter actually presenting the Medal to the Navy for presentation to Walter Eppel.

post-10825-0-45307200-1507926896_thumb.jpeg

post-10825-0-20533200-1507926907_thumb.jpeg

Thanks for posting that paperwork. Thats awesome! My original speculation was correct.

Kurt

Yes Kurt you were dead on accurate with the date of this medal.

In the multiple post war letters between Walter Eppel and the US Navy, he always referred to himself in writing as Eppel Jr.

Chris

I noticed Eppel Jr is listed as having served in Korea with the Army on findgrave.com

Has anyone found anything about his Army service?

I only have his Navy records. He left the Navy as a Aviation Radioman Chief Petty Officer in 1945. He tried to re-enter the USN as a Chief in the late 1940s. The Navy would only take him as an 3rd Class Petty Officer. Apparently he declined. The Navy records end in 1950 with the awarding of the Army Air Medal. In 1950, Eppel was listed as working in Point Barrow Alaska as a wireless telegraph operator.