Civil war mess items?

Hi Guys,

Picked these up at an estate sale. Would appreciate any advice on whether any or all are military mess gear. The tin cup looks Civil war era. The two tin spoons appear military but one is real small. The three lead filled spoons look similar to 1874 forks but are unmarked. Enamalware plate has seen hard use. All items are unmarked...the usual for Civil war era mess gear.

Thanks for your help,

Stuart

post-67191-0-81874600-1349907837_thumb.jpg

post-67191-0-22722700-1349907852_thumb.jpg

Hi Guys,

Picked these up at an estate sale. Would appreciate any advice on whether any or all are military mess gear. The tin cup looks Civil war era. The two tin spoons appear military but one is real small. The three lead filled spoons look similar to 1874 forks but are unmarked. Enamalware plate has seen hard use. All items are unmarked...the usual for Civil war era mess gear.

Thanks for your help,

Stuart

post-67191-0-73534400-1350176609_thumb.jpg

post-67191-0-70621000-1350176672_thumb.jpg

Hi Stuart,

The cup certainly looks Civil War with the reinforcing bail wires. The three tine forks, spoons and enamel plate I suspect are later - IW. The two tine fork with bone handle could be correct for Civil War or much earlier. These are pictured in Revolutionary War books as well as appropriate for that time period.

Nice Estate Sale!

- Ron

Thanks for the help Ron,

I like the cup as possible civil war issue. It's the typical 4 1/8"diameter by 4 1/8" high. The rest I'm just not sure of. Those forks look and feel just like the 1874 fork but no markings. The spoons have the same stamped shape of military issue but again no marks and the little one I've never seen before.

The older fork is ivory or bone handled.

Stuart