Wwii Wave Grouping Of Nancy Lane Davis Who Worked On The Manhattan Project

19delta-uav

Hello Forum Friends,

I got this grouping a few weeks ago from a picker friend. The grouping is astounding in its detail. I mean she literally kept everything from her application to get in to the WAVES to out processing pamphlets. I'm looking to find out a little more about this grouping, but I will probably be offering it up for sale here on the forum soon, so I'm also looking to determine a fair asking price as well. There are many photos because this is such an interesting grouping. Here is here obituary....

DAVIS NANCY LANE

Of Pittsburgh, and Perry Co., Pennsylvania, passed away on February 22, 2012, at the age of 97. Beloved twin sister of Jean Hartley Davis, and daughter of Frank H. and Blanche E. Davis, she was born in Wilkinsburg. She attended the Pennsylvania College for Women (Chatham), and graduated from Mt. Holyoke College. For many years, she served as an executive secretary at Westinghouse, at one time was involved with the Manhattan Project. During World War II, she served as a WAVE at the Navy Department in Washington DC, providing secretarial support. She was a lifelong and devoted member of the Wilkinsburg 2nd United Presbyterian Church, and joined her sister as a singer in the choir. A member of the Edgewood Country Club, she was an avid golfer whose sharp memory kept track of pro golfers, their scores, and competitive standings every season. Into her 90s, she volunteered to deliver Meals on Wheels. She was often the secretary of the organizations she belonged to and an active member of the Wilkinsburg Women's Club, the Rockledge Garden Club, and the Photographic Society of America. Nancy's passion for gardening kept her busy with huge vegetable gardens at both her homes. She is survived by two nieces and two nephews. The family extends its deep gratitude to the many caregivers from Home Instead, who provided tender care to Nancy and fulfilled her last wishes. A Memorial Service for Nancy L. Davis, and her sister, Jean H. Davis, officiated by the Rev. Deborah Warren, will be held at the Wilkinsburg 2nd United Presbyterian Church on Saturday, May 12 at 11 a.m., followed by a reception and memorial tree planting. The church is located at 300 Hay Street, Wilkinsburg.

post-3881-0-08600000-1349823775.jpg

post-3881-0-69791200-1349823788.jpg

Very nice WAVES group, I especially like that WAVES issue bible.

Earlier in the year I sold my only seersucker set, wish I still had it.

Philip

This is perhaps one of the more interesting parts of the grouping. Her entire application for the waves.. There is both a hand written and typed copy. Along with the application comes letters of recommendation from various colleges she attended and from places she worked... It must have been a very difficult process to be admitted to the WAVES

post-3881-0-79595400-1349824898.jpg

post-3881-0-79377100-1349824939.jpg