Lt.Robert K.Ashford..Pilot,son,brother

doyler

Back in 2008 I was contacted by a long time friend and acutioneer.They had found a "box" during prepping a property for an upcoming tag sale.They had been hired to conduct the sale to liquidate the items of the home so the property could be sold.They will contact me from time to time with questions on various items to help identify or provide other information.

While cleaning out and arranging items for the sale they found the "box" in the basement tucked underneath the stairs behind other various items.THis "box" held not only material items but it told a story of a man and his short but eventful life.I often look at the box and wonder how one can contain a mans whole life in a "box" and how much this "box" has to say.

The last owner of the house was the sister of Lt.Robert Ashford.Mary,the sister had passed away after being the caretaker of her parents for several years.Her father had passed,then her mother.Mary had never married and had no children or any living relatives.Her brother Robert had been missing in action,killed and presumed dead since September 13th 1944 after not returnig to his ship.Roberts father had been in the Navy during WW1 and a well lnown figure in the community.Roberts mother at some point had been head of the area Selective Service program.A freind of mine whos mother took over for Mrs Ashfords duties for the Selective Service board was amazed to find out about Robert as he had known the Ashfords all his life growing up in the same comminity and they had never spoken of Robert or his death.I can only imagine the pain of loosing an only son was constantly on their minds and they suffered in silence for the rest of their lives.Robert must have had a profound impact on the people he met as there are several letters in the collection,many to his poarents but also a couple from war time shipmates.I was also informed by the auctioneers several of the letters and photos were returned to his former girlfriend who was so much a part of the family she had kept in contact with Mr and Mrs Ashford and Mary all these years after Roberts death.She even came to live with the Ashfords for a period of time after he was lost.She had married and had children but still was very close to the family.

Here is the "box" as found.There will be a lot of pictures and I will try to answer questions as I can.I will be posting pictures of several of the letters and papers and excerpts from them.I hope you will find this as intresting as I do and I am very humbled to be able to care for this "box" of memories of one mans short life..

post-342-0-40512500-1349673629_thumb.jpg

post-342-0-05011600-1349673703_thumb.jpg

Various cards from his wallet for organizations and cards for being a shellback on two ships.Note the censored on the location of the one card.

post-342-0-49182500-1349674013_thumb.jpg

Lt.Robert Kieth Ashford.USNR.

From the paper work it appears he served on the USS Independance,USS Bunker Hill,USS Belleau Wood and the USS Cowpens.He was a fighter pilot with VF22

post-342-0-79080600-1349674115_thumb.jpg

post-342-0-05053000-1349674193_thumb.jpg

Roberts Navy pilots licensce.It is signed by Chester Nimitz..

Robert had had some training prior to his enlisting in the navy in 1940.

post-342-0-25329200-1349674638_thumb.jpg

post-342-0-23880700-1349674679_thumb.jpg

As stated there are many letters in the group but many were also given away or thrown out early in the house liqudation by the people from the bank prior to contacting the auctioneers service.

post-342-0-43986900-1349675209_thumb.jpg

post-342-0-66389300-1349675183_thumb.jpg

Early document for citiations for a mission flown in combat 1943.One member was recommended for the Navy Cross.Robert and several others for the Air Medal.

post-342-0-58725200-1349677362_thumb.jpg

Watches worn by Robert.His nickname was "ASH"and one watch is marke ASH on the reverse.The Waltham with wrist band still runs.THe cork is from a Champagne bottle.Memoories from a good time or graduation of Pilots training ?? English coins and Navy cuff links too.

post-342-0-98736500-1349678420_thumb.jpg

"ASH"

post-342-0-01118200-1349678458_thumb.jpg

Silk flag.THis was in the "box".Not sure if he used it on board ship as there ar pin holes in the edge from hanging up or if it was something his father had from WW1.

post-342-0-11616200-1349679073_thumb.jpg