AAF FJI EMBLEM - INSTRUMEMUS FULMINA

COOKIEMAN

Made one of my periodic visits to a couple of the local Antique Malls 9Wichita) yesterday, and came up with one small hit. It is a large format (5 inch diameter) decalomania made by Durochrome of New York / Las Angeles. It is the type of WW2 decal used to make Flight Jacket Patches, usually found applied to a leather disc. The central design is a Black Smith launching an aircraft (obviously a P-47 Thunderbolt). In the background are four yellow lightning bolts emanating from dark clouds. The inscription "INSTRUMEMUS FULMINIA" on a bottom scroll. My Latin isn't really great, but from what I could find on the net, it might mean "RAPID PREPARER". I'm open to a better translation. My best, educated guess is it is from an Aviation Depot / Maintenance / Support Unit of some designation. Looking for constructive thoughts / comments about the emblem.

post-14361-1349294420.jpg

Johnny Signor

Probably a aircraft repair depot type, it's one I've never seen and a Great save , that's an AWESOME design in details etc !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your best bet for an ID would be to send a copy(JPG) to the people out of Maxwell AFB, the Historical research center there , if anyone should have it documented and it's an "Officially" approved emblem then they should be able to tell you for sure .

Good luck !

Johnny