1918 paratroopers knife?

brandon_rss18

Greg Robinson

your ebay link didn't work. Was it a 1918 dated "trench knife"....the ones that had a knuckle bow on the hilt? Those were used during WW2 and some paratroopers favored them.

The "1918" brass knuckle fighting dagger/knife was the first type edged weapon issued to Army Paratroops in 1942, & on those: the round crossguard was filed flat on each side; so it wouldn't dig into man's body. The original steel Sheaths had leather cover with belt loop, sewn over them.

There are too many descriptions of items of gear & equipment listed as "paratrooper" or "airborne" issued. This is obviously not the case as most items used by the Airborne were standard infantry, signals corps, engineer corps etc..etc..

Many items would have been exchanged, borrowed, stolen or perhaps purchased to make up their limited equipment lists....

It looks like an older Mexican butter-fly knife. Some one bought it who probalbly is bragging about the wrong description and a great bargin, on another discussions board!

There was indeed a parachute knife produced in WWI. It had a fixed hooked blade and checkered wooden handle. Before you start laughing, no they didn't have paratroopers in WWI, but they did have balloon observers who used the knife to cut their lines once they landed. The knife was produced by LF&C and a photo was included in their 1918 promotional brochure. Camillus and Schrade Walden produced similar fixed hooked blade knives much later in the century, but the idea originated in WWI. I have one in my collection with no maker mark on the blade, but I have seen a photo of one with an LF&C marked blade. I don't think there are too many around.

There was indeed a parachute knife produced in WWI. It had a fixed hooked blade and checkered wooden handle. Before you start laughing, no they didn't have paratroopers in WWI, but they did have balloon observers who used the knife to cut their lines once they landed. The knife was produced by LF&C and a photo was included in their 1918 promotional brochure. Camillus and Schrade Walden produced similar fixed hooked blade knives much later in the century, but the idea originated in WWI. I have one in my collection with no maker mark on the blade, but I have seen a photo of one with an LF&C marked blade. I don't think there are too many around.

Photograph courtesy Frank Trazka's website:

post-594-1202954299.jpg

US Military Knives

sorry for all the posts but that knife looks nothing like the ones that have been described, not "buying" it

Brandon,

By that do you mean the knife on ebay? Because the LF&C parachute knife pictured above is the genuine article.

Chris

I thought a lot of the "Baloonists" wore parachutes as part of thier job. To get out of the baloons in a hurry, should it be attacked? It seems I am ready for some edumacation time. :lol:

brandon_rss18
I thought a lot of the "Baloonists" wore parachutes as part of thier job. To get out of the baloons in a hurry, should it be attacked? It seems I am ready for some edumacation time. :lol:

lol nah they would just put on their oxygen masks and g suits and elevate to an atmospherical altitude to avoid the SAM's ;) after all they were heat seeking and they were hot air balloons, okay im sorry im getting off subject