• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_OcelotZ3_*

Guest_OcelotZ3_*
  • Guests
    • Member ID: 276

Posted 12 February 2008 - 08:27 PM

Hi All,

My father was a medal collector and he left behind a number of medals. This is a collection of Crosses of Honor, with 2 from the civil war (1 named), 1 from WWI, 1 from WWII, and one from Vietnam. The three modern ones are numbered, so perhaps some research could be done to find the recipient names?

Attached Images

• crosses_001.jpg

#2 Guest_OcelotZ3_*

Guest_OcelotZ3_*
  • Guests
    • Member ID: 271

Posted 12 February 2008 - 08:28 PM

2nd pic

Attached Images

• crosses_002.jpg

#3 Guest_OcelotZ3_*

Guest_OcelotZ3_*
  • Guests
    • Member ID: 22

Posted 12 February 2008 - 08:34 PM

WWI/WWII

Attached Images

• crosses_003.jpg

#4 Guest_OcelotZ3_*

Guest_OcelotZ3_*
  • Guests
    • Member ID: 827

Posted 12 February 2008 - 08:35 PM

Backs of WWI/WWII

Attached Images

• crosses_004.jpg

#5 Guest_OcelotZ3_*

Guest_OcelotZ3_*
  • Guests
    • Member ID: 248

Posted 12 February 2008 - 08:35 PM

Vietnam

Attached Images

• crosses_005.jpg

#6 Guest_OcelotZ3_*

Guest_OcelotZ3_*
  • Guests
    • Member ID: 2

Posted 12 February 2008 - 08:36 PM

Vietnam back

Attached Images

• crosses_006.jpg

#7 Kevin Beyer

Kevin Beyer

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 248
  • 846 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 10:02 PM

Hello,

From what I have seen on eBay, those Veteran service versions of the UDC crosses sell for between $100-$250 on eBay. As for the Southern Crosses, if they are genuine (I am not an expert in them) the named ones can go for a small fortune. I would say you have an expensive little lot on your hands.

Kevin

#8 Jason G

Jason G
  • Members
    • Member ID: 569
  • 3,330 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 09:38 AM

The Sons of Confederate Veterans should be able to help you with this, they do keep a database of these. I can't remember what my Cross is numbered but will try and get a pic of it this weekend and post it to show a modern one. (Mine was issued in 1995).

#9 Brig

Brig

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
  • 21,847 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 03:11 PM

you'd have to have an expert check out the crosses. I know there are a few in the Gettysburg, PA area

#10 88thcollector

88thcollector
  • Members
  • 1,414 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 04:20 PM

Here are some for sale but you have to ask for the price.

http://www.historybr.../items/belt.htm

I got $350 for a VN one a while back and $250 or so for a WW2. They had some fraying and rubbing.

The named one depends on his service record and keep it until you have id'd him or hit a dead end.
I sold one once for a quick profit. turned out it was a kid that ran messages for Lee at Gettysburg, was wounded and mentioned in the daily report for valor. plus more that have forgotten and a good postwar career. I could have done a lot better if I had taken the time to research it.

You may also find that you have medals from several generations of the same family. it happens.

and just google Southern Cross of Honor, there is a ton of info including several rosters.

Steve

#11 USMCR79

USMCR79
  • Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 05:44 PM

I have contacted the UDC in the past and given them #'s and they have been able to provide copies of the application document. I is $25 to $30 for each cross to be researched.

There HQ is in Richmond Va.

Bill

#12 Guest_OcelotZ3_*

Guest_OcelotZ3_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2008 - 09:37 PM

I have contacted the UDC in the past and given them #'s and they have been able to provide copies of the application document. I is $25 to $30 for each cross to be researched.

There HQ is in Richmond Va.

Bill

From their web site & request form, it kind of looked like you couldn't just give them a medal # or name on the medal and get information. They seemed to want a bunch more information to do a search. Am I just reading more into the form than it really needs?

Thanks,
Scott

#13 Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson

Forum Co-Founder (Ret)

• Administrators
  • 26,553 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 09:51 PM

From their web site & request form, it kind of looked like you couldn't just give them a medal # or name on the medal and get information. They seemed to want a bunch more information to do a search. Am I just reading more into the form than it really needs?

Thanks,
Scott

I looked at their PDF form and it is designed for someone seeking a COH for their ancestor but in your case I suspect you could just give the name and then write on the form that you know the medal number. Certainly that should be enough info.

#14 USMCR79

USMCR79
  • Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 08:50 AM

I just called them and had it charged to my AMEX......only a phone call

Bill

#15 Mark M

Mark M
  • Members
  • 2,471 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 03:20 PM

Forum members:

You are in the MEDALS & DECORATIONS "Reference Section". This area is where posts from the general Medals & Decorations "discussion section" (http://www.usmilitar.....?showforum=83) are moved for permanent retention and education about the history of the various U.S. medals and military decorations.

As time moves forward, some of these posts may have additional information added to them by the moderators of this section. We ask for your input as well, especially in the correction of any erroneous information that may have inadvertently be posted..

We encourage further comments about this post and its content. In order to do so, you will need to start a new post in the general Medals & Decorations "discussion section" (here: http://www.usmilitar.....?showforum=83). And, as needed, we will be pleased to move any new and / or valued information that is derived from your post (and subsequent comments) into this reference area as its own standing post.

Please be advised: posting and / or editing is restricted on this post to moderator's and forum staff.

Sincerely,
Chris / ADMIN

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users