• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 pchepurko

pchepurko
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,651
  • 1,208 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 07:02 AM

Does anyone have anything to or about the 149th Engineer Battalion. They were in the second wave at Omaha Beach.

#2 Robersabel

Robersabel
  • Inactive
    • Member ID: 2,890
  • 208 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 07:34 AM

Are members of the 149th Engineer Combat Battalion recipients of the Combat Infantryman badge?

Does anyone have anything to or about the 149th Engineer Battalion. They were in the second wave at Omaha Beach.

Robert

#3 pchepurko

pchepurko
  • Members
  • 1,208 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 07:57 AM

I can't say for sure but I would say yes.

#4 Allan H.

Allan H.
  • Members
    • Member ID: 151
  • 3,555 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 10:52 AM

I can't say for sure but I would say yes.

Combat infantry Badges are only properly bestowed on Infantrymen while serving in an infantry role. Members of the 149th Engineers were NOT entitled to a CIB.

Moderator Dave's Father-In-Law had a cousin, Jack M. Lee who was KIA on D-Day with the 149th Engineer Bn. There is a threadhere on the forum with a little bit of info on him.

Allan

#5 patches

patches
  • Members
    • Member ID: 34,986
  • 11,772 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 11:07 AM

Yeah they wore this :whistling: But as Allan stated Engineers in WWII did not get the CIB, even if they fought as Infantry, which they did alot, not to mention leading Amphibious Assaults, River Assaults, Assaults against Bunker and Pillbox emplacements (Maginot Line and Siegfried Line, Nip fortifications out in the Pacific) no CIB, my belief is they should have got something, maybe the unautherized one above, you know making it official.

Attached Images

• _BmjKB5g_Wk___KGrHqQH_EYEtr_qYv_RBLg_wuB7cw___12.jpg

#6 Allan H.

Allan H.
  • Members
    • Member ID: 151
  • 3,555 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 01:26 PM

Yeah they wore this :whistling: But as Allan stated Engineers in WWII did not get the CIB, even if they fought as Infantry, which they did alot, not to mention leading Amphibious Assaults, River Assaults, Assaults against Bunker and Pillbox emplacements (Maginot Line and Siegfried Line, Nip fortifications out in the Pacific) no CIB, my belief is they should have got something, maybe the unautherized one above, you know making it official.

Actually, these combat badges for other branches are associated with service in the Korean War and were never official- yet they were worn. I distinctly recall an Ike jacket that showed up at an ASMIC convention about ten years ago that had the only bullion Combat Artillery Badge in bullion that I've ever seen. The jacket even had a second loose bullion Badge with a Japanese tailor's label on the back side.

Allan

#7 jgawne

jgawne
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,657
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 03:34 PM

I wrote about the 149th in Spearheading D-Day.

And no, no CIB as only infantry get that. And for good reason. Look at the stats of WW2 casualites by branch. Also, consider how the other branches get pulled out of the line when not in use, while the infantry have to stay and man the line. There is a very good reason why mmany WW2 vets will tell tyou the only award that means anything is the CIB.

#8 pchepurko

pchepurko
  • Members
  • 1,208 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 02:58 AM

Thanks for the help. I found the post to the unit diary and it confirms information that I have and pegged the person I am researching, Orie Krieger, to Company B.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

In Memory of Co-Founder GREG MILLS ROBINSON, a.k.a. "Marine-KaBar"
(February 17, 1949 - March 5, 2011)