Civil War Uniform or Spanish American War Uniform?

I got a call today from a picker who said he found a uniform and wondred if I wanted it so I went to take a look and this is what he brought out!! :w00t: I am a WWII collector but I couldn't pass this baby up when I saw how complete and nice condition it is. He says he can get the vets name who wore it so I should be able to do some research but I was hoping someone could tell me the era? Looks to me Like a NEBRASKA National Guard by the buttons but that is about all I know. :think:

post-59872-1348701842.jpg

This is a 1902 Dress coat for a Colonel in the Aid-De-Camp Corps. The buttons on these coats changed to rimmed eagle style in 1911 I think, so yours looks to be 1902-1910 era. Very nice set.

I agree post 1880, if I remember right they were in business mid 1880s on thru the 20s. Great find!!! I wouldn't have past it up either, with the shield on it I'm thinking he was a staff officer or possibly JAG.

Fritz

After a closer look, the one rimless eagle button looks to be for the shoulder knots. The rest of the buttons are state buttons.

After a closer look, the one rimless eagle button looks to be for the shoulder knots. The rest of the buttons are state buttons.

Yes the rimless eagle buttons are only for the shoulder knots and yes the rest are all Nebraska buttons. Thanks for the replys!

Devin

I found out who he is!! My picker just brought over a copy of the vets Auto Biography that the family let him have! I guess the they wanted to keep the original and his sword, but at least now I know who the uniform belonged to. ((Colonel George Lyon Jr of Nelson Nebraska)). It looks like he is wearing medals in one of the pictures.

post-59872-1348706823.jpg